NEC / Optiarc (?) DVD/CD drive not working

no7fish

n00b
So I bought an NEC drive to put in my friend's Dell the other day. It's an OEM drive so it doesn't come with driver or documentation but I figured it would be plug N play like most every other drive I've encountered (maybe I've just been lucky....) and of course it was not.

It's this one:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16827152076

I can't find it at all on NEC's website and I have searched enough to think it's actually an Optiarc. I haven't found anyone having quite the same issues but any suggestions?

Here's what it's doing:

I plug it in and it recognized and will read CD's but will not burn. I couldn't get it to do anything trying to burn with windows (data or music through media player) but I managed to get him through the installation of Nero and it will now attempt to burn but throws random diff errors. (I don't know exactly what but he says it's diff ones, not the same errror over again)

So, any ideas? Basically I don't know what to check to see what's wrong with it. It reads so I'm assuming it has a valid driver, is that not correct? Any clues would be a great help. I'm sure there's not enough info here so what else would help diagnose?
Thanks!

It sounds like you need to update the firmware. Get it off their site. Click on that newegg link you posted. Then click on the "Manufacturer Info" tab. On the NEC website, go to Support/Downloads/Storage/FirmwareUpdates. Flash the drive. You could also check the dell site to see if there are any updated controller drivers. Also, make sure its using DMA (through device mgr).

Thanks, I never noticed that tab... But if you go to the NEC site there are apparently no downloads for this drive. It's not even a part number series listed in their downloads section and the downloads portion of the individual part page only offers the manual....:confused: I have heard of people flashing this series of drive but I can't find anything to flash it with.

Warning: stupid question following: What is DMA and where do I set it?

Back