NAT server with win2k3

wuzzzy

n00b
I'm trying to set up a NAT server with win2k3 server and have a couple of questions. obviously i need two nic cards in there. one that connects to the isp and the other to the internal network. and i have that set up as well as the settings for nat but the problem i am having is that the server doesn't communicate with the internal lan on private ip addressing. cross over cable to the lan hub only 3 machines as a test and regular connection to cable modem. am i missing anything? any help would be great thanx.

What do you mean "doesn't communicate?" Is the IP of the private interface static?

Private IP (LAN)
10.0.1.10 ~ 10.0.1.15
on nic card 2
local area connection #2 according to windows
209.218.97.65 gateway
dns

ISP IP
209.218.97.64 gateway

dns (from ISP)

when i try to use another machine to connect via a hub the other machine can't get a address and I can't ping the server. I have made sure the connection from hub to server is a cross over cable. and straight through from machine to hub.

You probably should have a strait through from the server to the hub, unless the server is plugged into an uplink port. Are you getting a link light on the hub from the server?

Cross over cables are generally used for connecting routers or a pc to a pc. Most end devices are going to need a strait through for connecting to a switch or hub.

You need to remove the gateway setting from your internal network card on your server. You should have received a pop-up error about having two default gateways set.

Since you only have one network segment on your interior setup, that should fix it. All your clients should have the 10.0.1.9 address configured as their gateway.

If you had multiple interior segments, you would need to add static routes to point at the router for your segment for whatever other interior addressing you had configured.

You want your server to use itself as the one and only DNS also, as well as your workstations. The ISPs DNS servers should not be there.

thank you for your help guys. did what you recommended and worked like a charm. although I do have one question. why don't I need a gateway on the interneal network card. just curious why that is. Thank you.

Back