Nanotherm PCM+, haha

Tengis

Supreme [H]ardness
I just got my PCM+, remounted my heatsink...

Does this stuff have a "burn in" period? Is it absolutely necesary to spread it on the hs and the cpu? I forgot about that until after I had my machine back on...

I opened the box... I thought it was a sick joke... but there was a baby condom in the package with the PCM+. I was like, wtf? I thought about it for a minute then realised it was used to smear the goop. Hehe... anyways... good stuff so far. Better than my generic coolermaster BS.

Pic...

NANOPCM+.jpg

That explain anything? (that was contents in box).

its called a finger cot....its used for really bad cuts on your finger...you bandage it then put the cot over it to keep it clean...in nanotherms case...you use it to spread the water...err...compund ;)

LOL They reinvented the term "water-cooling". In all fairness, it performed well for me intially, however the formula integrity was questionable. It did eventually leave the infamous marks. I have the new version haven't tested it yet. Most thermal-paste's should not be spread, it incorperates air. Nanotherm, should be spread because of it's viscosity. Of course the fact you have to "shake it vigorously" pretty much incorperates air into it anyway.

Currrently (until their next version) AS5 is THE TIM to beat! I wouldn't mess with anything but high silver-particle count, thick paste. The picture below, comapres AS5 to PCM+ (original version), after 120minutes, the PCM+ had much of it's water base dry, leaving a parrafin pile.

PCMsideBYside.jpg

is the difference between the thermal pastes (as ceramique, 5, nanotherm pcm) noticable? i mean a few degrees isn't realy important to me, jus an overall stable product...

btw i'm getting ceramique, just wanted to make sure i won't have problems w/ it

Thats the whole point PCM = phase change material. Its supose to go from a liquid (which fills in the holes/gabs better) to a jelly like paste.

yea... but too bad they used a liquid called H2O which happened to corrode everybody's blocks, and so it isnt recomended by any swiftec anymore

So PCM+ is bad? Ive got it with my SLK900U right now.

i dont know about the new revision, but i IMHO nanotherm really messed themselves up and just BStd about themsleves with their pastes being used in space and stuff.... Personally i would just use Arctic Silver becasue nothing beats it and for piece of mind.... i mean. the original PCM+ corroded heatsinks. how badly can a company mess up? this proves that they dont even test their pastes for any long conciderable perioud or only on Al blocks, otherwise they would have noticed it.

How do I know if I have the newer PCM+?... I just got some from Xoxide.com, and I really dont want my heatsink to corrode... =(.

if i'm not mistaken nanotherm recalled all the bad stuff. However, i myself would never trust any product they bring out again. Hell, i'd rather use nothing myself rather than nanotherm crap --> my opinion. didnt your heatsink come with anything?

I have an SLK900U... Ive been using coolermaster paste until now. I weary of leaving this on there knowing that it could possibly corrode it. I dont want my 35$ heatsink to corrode... =(.

People used to love that stuff when it first came out...I dunno what happened?

BTW...What is the newest Arctic Silver products out now? Is it still AS3 and the Ceramique?

Originally posted by enzoR
if i'm not mistaken nanotherm recalled all the bad stuff. However, i myself would never trust any product they bring out again.

Actually Nanotherm did not officially conduct a recall, ESG Associates (Nanotherm), did voluntarily allow users to return their PCM+ ONLY after ARCTIC SILVER inc. decided to allow PCM+ users to return their PCM+ for Arctic Silver 5, Since Nanotherm didnt want to help the Overclocking community with their mess, Arctic Silver inc. did. Nanotherm ONLY did a semi voluntary recall after much pressure was put on them by consumers. To this day Nanotherm has not admitted there is or was a problem, combined with the fact Nanotherm claims to not be able to replicate the problem (This is total bullshit) . The way Nanotherm 'improved' PCM+ was to ship the vendors an additive to add to current PCM+ stock, this is very ridiculous as it should not be up to the vendors to add the additive. (Consistency controls is a factor)

But the fact remains PCM+ still even with its 'improved' formula is a terrible product, and it still is corroding some heatsinks at an albeit slower rate.

Here's a review where they had to stop testing due to PCM+ going bad and eating away his heatsink during testing. http://www.gruntville.com/reviews/thermal/as5/index.php

The review was kind, you should read the addendum in the forums over there, He has a few interesting things to say about PCM+ http://www.gruntville.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=59064#59064

Do your self a favor and throw it in the garbage now. I've found it to be crap.

And i bought it because of the paid off websites Whoring it!!

Even if it wasnt eating away @ heatsinks, I got worse results than cheap Paste that comes with SVC $5 g68 heatsiks in the little bubble pack.

Im actually getting very good temps with PCM+... but I just dont want it to corrode my heatsink. I will order some Artic Silver 5 or something =(.

Does ArcticSilver still let you trade in the Nanotherm junk for AS 5? if so do that then. No point keeping your PCM+.

Back