Nano itx battery supply and controller

Kyre

n00b
I'm looking to build a Nano Itx based system and I'm therefor looking for some kind of battery solution like that of a laptop ie. I need to know the status of the battery and also a system for charging. Dos any one have any ides??

By status, do you mean what % of charge is left in the battery? Well, if you're using a sealed-lead-acid battery, a simple idea would be to wire up a ADC that's ranged from 10.5V to 12.6V or so, and use the output pins to connect to a parallel port, and write some custom software to...do whatever it is you want to do with the battery status. As far as charging is concerned, you could hook up a regular charger to the battery, and in parallel with the charger/battery, connect a 12V DC power supply. Use a couple of diodes or a bridge, so that when the 12VDC power supply is available, the computer draws off that, and if that's not available, the computer draws off the battery.

I guess you might also think about gutting an old, busted laptop and scrounging parts off that for the battery and charging circuitry.

What would be idle for me is a full ACPI capable system
In main I want the possibility to sett the system to "extremely low consumption states"
and have it wake on sirten events.
I have also considered building a micro-controller based battery interface, and having that communicate whit the system.

But I have come to the conclusion that I am better off just re purposing a laptop. ripping the screen of and re casing it to my needs / purpose.

Any other tips are still appreciated

Yeah, for your requirements, it would just be way too complicated to be worth the time and effort.

I think it would be a rocking electronics project. I might start it at a different time :p

Back