"n00b" temp question for ALMOST FINISHED AMD 3700+ system

Ok. The anticipation has been killing me, and I was finally able to order the last 2 parts I needed for my computer (Leadtek 7800GTX and a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 16mb 200Gig SATA HD)

I didn't get the hard drive yet, so I couldnt start installing XP, etc. But I did hook up the computer, sans HD to my monitor to see what was going on in the bios of my new system. The specs are:

AMD 64 3700+ San Diego with Thermaltake XP-90 Heatsink (and 82mm Fan)
MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum (non SLI) motherboard
1Gig Corsair VS
FSP 530W ATX 2.0 PSU
Leadtek 7800GTX
Creative Audigy 2 eX Platinum

and then it will have 2 Optical drives and 3 Hard Drives (2 SATA- 1 IDE)

There are 2 120mm thermaltake case fans one in the front of the lian li pc65b Plus case for intake, one on the top for exhaust. One 90mm fan in the back for exhaust and then the 82mm on the heatsink for cooling.

This will be my first AMD system. The rig I have now is a P4 2.8Ghz Prescott 1 Gig ram, etc. I don't really plan on overclocking TOO MUCH (as i have no clue what im really doing)

I did bookmark a couple sites with specs on safe/stable OC's for the 7800gtx, and the Neo4 mobo has a Dynamic Overclocking feature that ranks things as "Private, Seargeant, Corporal, General, Commander, etc.)

These say they increase the CPU frequency. Mine was by default set at Seargeant (increase CPU freq. by %3) There are 4 more 'upper' choices after that %5, %7, %9, %11

First question what would be my method of attack if i wanted to tinker around with the settings here? Try one, run Prime 95 for a while, if stable, go up?

I dont really think im going to OC the ram... its just VS and runs fine at 2.5-3-3-8, not sure how it would overclock anyways.

ANYWHO....the main reason I posted. I went into the SYSTEM Health area, and saw the CPU and System temps, fan rpm and stuff. Are these numbers right? wrong? acceptable?

System Temp 36c/96f
CPU Temp 43c/198f

Sys Fan RPM 1854rpm
CPU RPM 1795rpm
Northbridge RPM 7758rpm

CPU Vcore 1.37v
+3.3v 3.37v
+12.0V 11.67v
+5.0v 4.99v

I forgot to mention i used arctic silver 5 on the cpu and I have a zalman mcf fan controller controlling the 2 120mm fans, 1 system fan (r. exhaust) and the cpu fan

thanks for the help!

wasnt the xp-90 made for 90mm and 92mm fans? you said you have an 82mm fan on it. if it works fine tho nm. but you might get a slightly bigger oc with 10mm more

are the temps you gave idel or load, give load temps if you havent they are the ones that really matter.

System Temp 36c/96f this is right but..
you said CPU Temp 43c/198f typo?? 43c is 109.4f

Nidhogg said:
wasnt the xp-90 made for 90mm and 92mm fans? you said you have an 82mm fan on it. if it works fine tho nm. but you might get a slightly bigger oc with 10mm more

are the temps you gave idel or load, give load temps if you havent they are the ones that really matter.

System Temp 36c/96f this is right but..
you said CPU Temp 43c/198f typo?? 43c is 109.4f

Doh! Type O's a plenty

CPU temp was 43c/109f that is what it said

and it IS a 90mm Fan on the top of the xp-90, my bad

That is idle.. as i dont have a HD in, OS installed, or doin anything.

Would this be right?

seems decent but kinda high...with stock voltage on my 3700+ my idle temps were 31 degrees...it now idles at 34 degrees with 1.56v

as for overclocking, go into the AMD section of this forum and read eclipse's a64 overclocking sticky guide thing...helps alot and is the main reason for my OC.

lcboyee1123 said:
seems decent but kinda high...with stock voltage on my 3700+ my idle temps were 31 degrees...it now idles at 34 degrees with 1.56v

as for overclocking, go into the AMD section of this forum and read eclipse's a64 overclocking sticky guide thing...helps alot and is the main reason for my OC.

thanks Icboyee, could you give a hard link to the section you used to OC your system? You have basically the same setup goin I do, and now that i think about it, my fan on the heatsink is a 92mm panflo too..

thanks for the help!

My San Diego 3700+ idles at ~40 w/ 120mm m1a panaflo with an XP-120. Motherboard is a MSI Neo4 Platinum. It is funny that both of us have unusually high temperatures by nearly 10C. I replaced all of the fans in my PC-65 with panaflos for about a 1C drop. With the side of the case off my cpu temps drop to about ~35. I find that by taking the front cover off my Lian Li and pulling out the filter at the bottom dropped my temperatures by about 3C.

Keep in mind there is no OS on this machine yet. My BIOS readings are always a bit higher then the actual readings while running windows.

Don’t panic till you get that drive and your OS installed. All should be well, and lower temp wise ;)

2uantuM said:
My San Diego 3700+ idles at ~40 w/ 120mm m1a panaflo with an XP-120. Motherboard is a MSI Neo4 Platinum. It is funny that both of us have unusually high temperatures by nearly 10C. I replaced all of the fans in my PC-65 with panaflos for about a 1C drop. With the side of the case off my cpu temps drop to about ~35. I find that by taking the front cover off my Lian Li and pulling out the filter at the bottom dropped my temperatures by about 3C.

Well, I think I just HELPED with fixing the problem. I checked the fan I had on the Heatsink. I thought it was a panflo, but here it was a coolermaster (POS) i had on it.

Needless to say i switched fans and the temp dropped from 49* to 39*.

I'll take that. THANKYOUVERYMUCH!

ok i have a rare 3700 thats runs like a 3800 but im sure we can relate.... i have VS also with 2.5 timings.... i can hit 2.475 stable but it wont go stable past that im thinkin it my shitty stock heatsink so yea.... just lower ur ram to 333 or what ever and just increase the frontside bus like 20 and drop ur HTT multiplier to 4 or 3 and then ur set hit me up on aim tvdang7 or soemthing and tell me whats up trust me im new just like u i cant find many ppl with 3700 to compare so tell me how high u get

Back