n00b Patch Panel Wiring Question

p0lish

Gawd
At my office, we had a spaghetti of wires, so i ordered a patch panel and today I began wiring the office. The only problem i've had is 5 wires that were ran last year to the new server rack. These wires do not terminate at the location with a wall jack like the others. They are directly ran to the server. When i tried to install the wire in the patch panel, wired exactly like the others, i cannot get a connection. The tester indicates mis-wires and other errors. Do you have to wire the patch panel differently if it is not terminating at a wall jack?

Computer -> Wall Jack -> Patch Panel -> Switch = Works Perfectly
Computer -> Patch Panel -> Switch = No connectivity.

Thanks for any inputs.

Look at the jack plugged into the servers, and see if they used a different wire order. Personally, I'd punchdown the wires in the panel correctly, and retip the faulty/miswired connections going into the server to match whichever 568A/B standard you are running with.

Look at the jack plugged into the servers, and see if they used a different wire order. Personally, I'd punchdown the wires in the panel correctly, and retip the faulty/miswired connections going into the server to match whichever 568A/B standard you are running with.

This. I want anyone who argues that standards aren't important to have to terminate wires in an office where the original installer didn't bother using uniform wiring. Been through this twice this year, and it blows.

This. I want anyone who argues that standards aren't important to have to terminate wires in an office where the original installer didn't bother using uniform wiring. Been through this twice this year, and it blows.

++1. That was it. The cable was ran in reverse of how it should have been. Thank's for the input everyone!

Back