Mysterious windows audio problem

Prizef1ghter

Weaksauce
I have a cheapo SBLive Value sound card that worked like a champ for a couple of years. I use this exclusively with headphones. All this time, I only have used regular automatic windows drivers for this device.

At 11pm everything is normal. I leave for about an hour, come back...no sound. No errors, everything plays normal. I check the volume controls and nothing is muted and no sliders are down. I reboot and again I get nothing. I turn off all startup items in msconfig, reboot and still nothing. I load up the 'offcial' SB software drivers and nothing. All the diagnostics show green across the board. I switch headphones, nothing, Confirm my headphones are working on another PC, try different audio formats, applications, and more troubleshooting following the instructions from the SB website. I boot into Knoppix and I have sound so I know my hardware is good and is connected properly. Boot back to windows (after finally watching my tv show in Knoppix), and still no sound. Reset all sound to default, re-made sure there was nothing muted and still nothing works. The last thing I did was successfully burn a CD after mastering a track using a sound editing program which I got rid of in my troubleshooting along with a bunch of other unused programs.

Any advice? Did I miss anything? Help?

You would'nt happen to have a keyboard or mouse with volume controls on them would you? My wifes computer has a Logitech media mouse that would auto mute everything if volume down had been pressed. Driver reinstalls had no effect whatsoever. I just got lucky that my big hands hit volume up while working on it.

I do have that on my keyboard but I've messed around with it and that does not help. Even still, it shouldnt effect WinAmp at least.

Prizef1ghter said:
I do have that on my keyboard but I've messed around with it and that does not help. Even still, it shouldnt effect WinAmp at least.
dang sounds like an annoying problem.
Do you use windows media classic?
What i found is that if i watch a video and i mute it there.. everything else i use is muted no matter what i try. Then to enable sound back i have to go to my windows media classic play a vid and set the sound back to max and everything is fine. =)

Spike23 said:
dang sounds like an annoying problem.
Do you use windows media classic?
What i found is that if i watch a video and i mute it there.. everything else i use is muted no matter what i try. Then to enable sound back i have to go to my windows media classic play a vid and set the sound back to max and everything is fine. =)

No, I have WMA 10, Realplayer, Winamp, and PowerDVD.

I loaded up Windows a couple of time in stripped down mode. So there can't be an application conflict.

I just went into safe mode and removed all of the audio components from device manager and rebooted. Windows successfully reinstalled everything but I still get no sound.

Anybody stumped like me yet?

Back