My Vista is no longer "geniune" after BSOD

Flogger23m

[H]F Junkie
I just had a blue screen and had something really odd happen. I got the "System Service Exception" blue screen while testing out a game, I restarted my PC and got it again.

I then restarted it again, and turned it off and turned it back on.

Now on the lower left corner of my screen, I see this:

Windows Vista (TM)
Build 6001
This Copy of Windows is not Genuine

What does this mean? I bought a copy of Vista 64bit OEM from newegg 7 months ago. It came on a DVD. I remember registering it or something with Microsoft a few days after I got my copy.

Does anyone know what this blue screen means, and why my Vista is no longer "genuine"?

Here is a pic of the package it came in before it was opened for proof of purchase ;) :

vistacopy.jpg

Specs:
Vista 64 bit OEM Home Premium
GTX 260 (with messed up drivers) - no artifacts in furmark stability test
4GB RAM - scanned fine in mem test
ASUS M3N78 Pro ATX AM2+
WD 1TB hard drive

I dunno..I would try to reinstall Vista and make sure the disc has no smudges on it. Maybe something changed in the BIOS when the PC crashed...might wanna check that too. But I would just take the time and reinstall. Are you sure all your hardware is Vista compatible?

I dunno..I would try to reinstall Vista and make sure the disc has no smudges on it. Maybe something changed in the BIOS when the PC crashed...might wanna check that too. But I would just take the time and reinstall. Are you sure all your hardware is Vista compatible?

Pretty sure everything is Vista compatible, it worked 100% solid for 5 months. What kind of things would you be looking for in the BIOS? I never really went into BIOS, so I don't even know what the default settings for things were.

I really don't want to reinstall. It would take too much time setting everything up again.

Also, is there anyway to check and see what, if anything, has been changed with my motherboard?

Last edited:
I think heatlesssun has got it right! Maybe you just need to do the re-validate your copy.

I restarted my PC again, and now the issue is gone. That wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Have any ideas with what could have caused the blue screen? I have been messing around with Nvidia drivers all day, must've installed/uninstalled, ran driver cleaner on the Nvidia display files around 8 times today. Think it would've been related to doing that?

I see that you have an OEM Vista version. Did you happen to make any hardware changes since you first installed Vista?

Check your event logs and the Performaance and Reliability Monitor reports and see if anything pops out at you.

Check your event logs and the Performaance and Reliability Monitor reports and see if anything pops out at you.

I see that you have an OEM Vista version. Did you happen to make any hardware changes since you first installed Vista?

No hardware added aside from a case fan. Only drivers that have been updated/uninstall are Nivdia GTX 260 drivers. Must've done it 8 times today.

I will do this in a while. Event longs = event viewer, correct?

Back