My shopping list for next week.

p_little

Weaksauce
I'm going to get my big payoff soon, and I'm going to "blow my load" on a computer. I've chosen to do a self-build. I've researched here and a couple of other places and chosen the following.

Processor: AMD Athlon64 3200 Venice Core (Edit: OC to about 2.4 or 2.5 eventually)
Motherboard: DFI nF4-DAGF NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD
RAM: CORSAIR ValueSelect 2 x 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (Dual Channel)
Video Card: SAPPHIRE Radeon x800PRO (PCIe x16)
HD: Western Digital 120gig (SATA 150)
Sound: CHAINTECH AV-710 8
CD/DVD: open to suggestions

I'm getting most of this from Newegg, but I'm going to check a couple of other places online, and a local place or two first. I'm open to all advice.

Thanks.

Edit: Also, Power Supply: Fortron Source ATX12V 400W

I'm getting a pretty good paycheck, but I am trying to get away under 900 or 950. If the payoff is a little more, I'll go XL or XT on the VC.

(cf)Eclipse said:
i think the 6600gt is unbeatable for it's value in that price range

that's true. if you're looking to oc, do get some better ram.
if you even listen to music, spend 20-40 on better sound. sb audigy, or even sb live

p_little said:
I'm going to get my big payoff soon, and I'm going to "blow my load" on a computer. I've chosen to do a self-build. I've researched here and a couple of other places and chosen the following.

Processor: AMD Athlon64 3200 Venice Core
Motherboard: DFI nF4-DAGF NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD
RAM: CORSAIR ValueSelect 2 x 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (Dual Channel)
Video Card: SAPPHIRE Radeon x800PRO (PCIe x16)
HD: Western Digital 120gig (SATA 150)
Sound: CHAINTECH AV-710 8
CD/DVD: open to suggestions

I'm getting most of this from Newegg, but I'm going to check a couple of other places online, and a local place or two first. I'm open to all advice.

Thanks.
I agree with Eclipse, choose RAM of his suggestions.

For a sound card, the Chaintech you selected uses the VIA (Vinyl) audio chip, which is not going to give much more performance than the onboard nForce4 audio codec. For a real difference, you can't go wrong with a Creative Labs Audigy 2 Value.

Choose an NEC 3520A for your CD/DVD. They're fast, quiet, and extrememly reliable.

As for the X800Pro, read this artice. The 6800 outperforms it under almost every circumstance. Sure it's a little more cost-wise, but the benefits outweigh that fact. I can't praise SM3.0 enough. If you're going to be gaming on this system and not upgrading your graphics card to the next generation for a while, then I highly recommend being ready for the upcoming wave of SM3.0 enabled games. I initially almost went with an ATI X700 or X800 series, until I found out that ATI still hadn't put that into hardware. I'm running a 6600GT, and all I can say is wow. I just finished Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, which is an SM3.0 enabled game. Running with AA and AF on at 1024x768 with all in-game graphics settings maxed out. I've never seen a more visually stunning game. Not Far Cry (except maybe for the AMD64 version), Doom 3, or anything else I play. Remember, a graphics card is the component that will usually make or break a decend gaming rig.

DejaWiz said:
For a sound card, the Chaintech you selected uses the VIA (Vinyl) audio chip, which is not going to give much more performance than the onboard nForce4 audio codec.

That card has a high sample rate bypass mode that uses the 7&8 channels as fronts. Those channels are driven by a very decent Wolfsen DAC, and not by the VIA CODEC. For two-channel playback it is an excellent card. Otherwise, it is no better than common onbord audio.

p_little said:
I'm getting a pretty good paycheck, but I am trying to get away under 900 or 950. If the payoff is a little more, I'll go XL or XT on the VC.

Some XL's are cheaper than pros on newegg...

GodsMadClown said:
That card has a high sample rate bypass mode that uses the 7&8 channels as fronts. Those channels are driven by a very decent Wolfsen DAC, and not by the VIA CODEC. For two-channel playback it is an excellent card. Otherwise, it is no better than common onbord audio.

I'm glad that someone knows what they're talking about (and should; GMC is an audio-guy ;))

I'm planning a similar system, but will use the Asus A8N-E MB. I was also planning on getting the Corsair Value Select. Why are you guys recommending something else? I thought the Corsair RAM was pretty highly thought of? That seems to be the stuff everyone is talking about, right? Is it because the OP is using the DFI MB in this case and needs something that can take more volts?

i personally dislike corsair. it's rated for looser timings on amd than intel, and the intel timings is normally what's advertised, so it's rather misleading. not too mention that i consistantly see people who can't just make it work, they have to bump up the voltage because the spd that i believe should do it for them doesn't :(

the two sticks of ram i linked to before are what i recommend to everyone. i would purchase them too if i need more ram (i'm actually considering a 1gb crucial value stick cause it's cheap, and just may overclock well. we'll see)

GodsMadClown said:

:eek: :eek: someone really knows their stuff....

amheck said:
I'm planning a similar system, but will use the Asus A8N-E MB. I was also planning on getting the Corsair Value Select. Why are you guys recommending something else? I thought the Corsair RAM was pretty highly thought of? That seems to be the stuff everyone is talking about, right? Is it because the OP is using the DFI MB in this case and needs something that can take more volts?

Corsair is a good brand but i never have thought of them as being the best. I think they just got so popular because they spend so damn much money in advertising and sending out free samples to every noob reviewer thats competent enough to post a review online.

As far as performance, customer service, and available selection goes i would say that OCZ is the best. OCZ reps are active in alot of popular forums like dfi-street and they'll give you alot of help if you need it. Their also easy to RMA with if you ever need replacements. They do alot of work to find the best settings for optimal performance for their RAM. G. Skill and Mushkin are both really good brands as well. G. Skill is noted as having some of highest performance TCCD based memory.

Corsair Value Select is great for the price but there is a pretty good chance you'll have compatibility problems because i dont think the DIMMs the chips used are even tested.

OCZ PC3200 Platinum Rev2 is a good selection for TCCD/TCC5 based memory. Mine clocks really well but it doesn't like my new 3200+ Venice because of the crap controller.

And there is a noted issue with using the 5V jumper for high voltage RAM on the DFI boards. Quite a few people are reported killed memory. I just saw another new thread today on dfi-street about a guy who just lost his new Mushkin Redline after already losing his OCZ VX. I would personally stray from using high voltage memory until they figure out the problem unless you just dont care to RMA if it dies. And you'll need active cooling on the RAM if you plan to run 3.2v+ as well.

i9f hes going nf4, than no, but, save money on the processor, get the 3000+. I have mine at 2.6 stable at 41c stock cooling.

Regardless of what these guys say about video, stick with the manufacturer you're used to. I had a 6800nu /w 16x6 unlocked that benchmarked much better than the x800se in my sig 8x6. However, for in game performance(especially hl2/CS:Source), I like the x800se better by far. I have no idea why. Even durring the video stress test for CS:Source, I pulled more fps's with a 6800, but the x800se ran smoother. Just my .02 :D.

If I were you I would ditch the memory, the DFI board, and the video card.

Get and MSI K8N Neo4F and get and ATI X800XL PCI Express.

For memory get 2x512 of Patriot 3200XBL.

You should be able to take the venice to 250x10.
The RAM will run 1:1 at 2.7V at 2.5-3-3-6 1T.

And for around $250 the PCI Express X800XL is the best deal out there.

Try monarch computers and zipzoomfly.

but along those lines, how can you learn without being exposed to the material? :)

Well, this is my first build but I've heard that the DFI boards are great. I've also heard that MSI were easier, and that ASUS are more stable. I was orginally going to go with an ASUS with the nForce 4 Ultra chipset. But the DFI that I chose had the same number of slots and was about $25 dollars cheaper (Edit: Plus it was in a combo deal with the A64). What Bios would be easier for me to use with this being my "cherry popper" build?

i think msi and asus are about equivilent, but some disagree with me. i guess it all depends on your experience.

for the bios, whichever is the latest :cool:

PClark99 said:
probably not but the dumb jab bothered me.

DFI boards aren't for beginners unless you want a steep learning curve. Alot of times you'll have to adjust things like the DRAM settings right off the bat just to get stable at stock speeds. And with the voltage options available you could be a real hazard to your hardware :p.

p_little said:
Well, this is my first build but I've heard that the DFI boards are great. I've also heard that MSI were easier, and that ASUS are more stable. I was orginally going to go with an ASUS with the nForce 4 Ultra chipset. But the DFI that I chose had the same number of slots and was about $25 dollars cheaper (Edit: Plus it was in a combo deal with the A64). What Bios would be easier for me to use with this being my "cherry popper" build?

You need to make sure its flashed to the latest official 310 BIOS from DFI. After you get used to the board then you can try out some of the other beta BIOS versions if you want to like the newer 510-1,510-2,510-3 versions.

(cf)Eclipse said:
i think msi and asus are about equivilent, but some disagree with me. i guess it all depends on your experience.

for the bios, whichever is the latest :cool:

Yea i would say they are close to being equivilent although the newer MSI boards seem to offer better overclocking then ASUS boards. ASUS boards are probably the best if you just want to run stock speeds.

burningrave101 said:
Yea i would say they are close to being equivilent although the newer MSI boards seem to offer better overclocking then ASUS boards. ASUS boards are probably the best if you just want to run stock speeds.
agreed 100%.

though, the new a8n premium or whatever might prove to be very nice. time will tell, as they're definitly taking their sweet time to work out all weird quirks

Back