My Seagate Barracuda Died

Tim_USMC

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 23, 2005
Messages
75
So I just bought this extremely cheap hard drive at Best Buy, I got a brand new ST3120026A for $35 (after rebate). I installed this and it lived for like 3 days.

Today my system wouldn't boot.

Upon trying everything, I finally just was trying to get into BIOS to recognize this drive, with everything else unplugged, I could hear the problem.

Upon power turn-on to the drive, you can hear a bunch of random beeping and it sounds like the platters/heads are sorta moving, but they're having a seizure. This all of course happens immeditely after I had transferred a bunch of data to the drive.

Am I completely fucked? Is there some trick to make my drive work again? I don't suppose Seagate does free data recovery for their drives when they break? Any suggestions at all?
 
Seagate has a paid recovery program, mucho expensivo. You could try the old freezer trick to try and get back some of your data, but it looks like you just have a dead/dying drive. Best Buy will recover 4gb of data for 90bucks, don't know what they do however... I say try and get back any data and exchange it for a new drive. Seagates are usually pretty reliable.

Edit: What PSU are you running?
 
bad drive. it happens every once in a blue moon. It was probably mishandled in shipping to the store/customer.

If the data is really important. You could try bestbuy. Probably the cheapest recovery option.

Really you shouldnt move all your data to a brand new drive without testing it first. Seagate will RMA the drive pretty much no questions asked but recovery could be expensive as said.
 
I tried it in 3 different PCs of varying PSUs, it had the same odd beeping/clicking type sounds.
 
Sounds like RMA time unfortunatly. You should be able to take it back to Best Buy, or RMA to Seagate which is a better choice IMO since how the drives are handled has a huge effect on the reliability, and I can vision BB stock boys playing football with them or dropping a few now and again.
 
i had a st32160026a die as well. had them, yes two in a mirrored array. they come up screaming one day. doth dead. sent to seagate for data recovery. quote $3000 to recover. issue: one read head broken, platters missaligned. sucks. had moved mydocuments folder with everything on it to those drives. supposed to be mirrored right. no responce i guess one went down and i never knew i don't know. seagates manufacturing problem? how else? picked them up from fry's b/m. seagate sent me an RMA drive that sais certified repaired drive. WTF! i don't trust their stuff anyway why shoud i accept a repaired drive? i don't get seagate, 5 year warrante doesnt amount to much.
 
Back
Top