My SATA cables suck, are there any good ones?

FirehawkNS

Weaksauce
Well windows took a dump on me last night on the main PC. I had been fighting with the damn sata cables unplugging themselves over time for a while from the heat in the case. It started getting more frequent and was looking for a way to secure the little shits so they would stop working themselves loose. Windows decided to do an update while I was on it the second time getting it started and in the middle of the update the computer locked up. I reboot and sure enough my Main SATA drive is not being read as usual, so I reach in and push the connector back on. When the computer starts up it finds the drive then I get the dreaded "Windows can not find System/command. Please use recovery option (that never works) or reinstall.

At least my important data is on my other two drives, it's just annoying since I wasn't planning on reinstalling at this time. Has anyone found cables that are worth a damn or a way to stop this? I have spent some time searching, but haven't found any answers, just people with the same issues.

Just do what OEMs started doing. Put a bead of hotglue on the connector(AFTER IT IS PLUGGED IN).

They do make latching SATA cables.....not sure if they actually latch onto the drives (as opposed to the mobo or a drive cage) but it might be worth a shot.

Froogle "latching SATA cable" pulls one up for ~$4

I thought WD shipped their drives with their SecureLock cables or something?

And if heat is causing these cables to disconnect themselves...don't you have bigger problems?

movax said:

And if heat is causing these cables to disconnect themselves...don't you have bigger problems?

only in raptors i think ...

MSI SATA cables are very good quality cables :D the worst ones are from Asrock ... If u can find MSI SATA cables, use them (they are the orange ones) ...

Greetings ;)

movax said:

Well when I say heat I mean the heatup cool down of the computer over days/weeks/months. The board only runs at 82 degrees and I have 5 fans with 1 120mm on the harddrives, so maybe it isn't the heat. But the expansion and contraction of pins over time does push the connectors out. Just not this fast.

FirehawkNS said:
Well when I say heat I mean the heatup cool down of the computer over days/weeks/months. The board only runs at 82 degrees and I have 5 fans with 1 120mm on the harddrives, so maybe it isn't the heat. But the expansion and contraction of pins over time does push the connectors out. Just not this fast.

In the PC/AT days, we had chip creep. Now we've got SATA creep! :eek:

Try this link to Newegg, takes you to SATA cables with the word "latch" in them: Link

Wait, you mean there are SATA cable w/o latch? Must be some really cheap cable. You can get the L shape conector SATA cable w/o latch. It's meant to connect to side mount hard drive.

unreal4u said:
only in raptors i think ...

MSI SATA cables are very good quality cables :D the worst ones are from Asrock ... If u can find MSI SATA cables, use them (they are the orange ones) ...

Greetings ;)

Completely agree about the Asrock cable, they were the first SATA cables I had used and are awfull, I was wondering if the industry had lost the plot with its move from the PATA connection method at the time.

Can't moan too much though as the motherboard was way cheaper than the other manufacturers :)

I'm using an Asrock SATA cable now and I have had it fall off on me a few times now - POS. I should buy a few of those latching cables soon.

Thanks for the help guys. The SATA cables I am using came with the MB so they are some of the first ones out.

I tried to recover windows but it wasn't working out. Wasn't really worth trying since my last install was in 2005, I decided to just start over. Why not take advantage of the fact I have everything already backup anyway.

I also rerouted my wires in the case to make them neater and sorta rigged up the cables so they can't move. It's a start till I get some latching ones.

Back