my options for a wireless desktop

greyghost

Limp Gawd
I am strongly considering buying a rangemax 240 router from netgear, but it appears to be
the there is no rangemax 240 wireless adapter for a pci slot. I know it is possible to connect
a pcmcia card to a desktop, but is that a good idea? there is the
NETGEAR WPNT121 which is a little pricey, but doable. the desktop will be 2 floors away
from the router ( and I have trouble commiting furniture to a specific spot in the house),
being used as a file server via remote desktop, and have a laptop roaming
the house. What whould you do?

DraftN is not an option. N can be an option after the standard is set,.

Just grab a G adapter..they still benefit from the increase in range of your Pre-N/MIMO router.

greyghost said:
Does it complicate things if you don't buy from the same vendor?

In my experience...no, as long as you stick with "WiFi Certified" gear (it's a black and white logo that specifically says.."WiFi Certified")

Most of the wireless networks I do for clients....for over the past year I've been using Linksys/Cisco Pre-N/MIMO gear, and the built in Intel Centrino wifi that's in IBM Thinkpad T and X series laptops.

With my laptop..I have probably 6x different PCMCIA wireless cards that I use with mixed APs all over various clients.

The only wireless chipset that I don't like so far..is the built in Atheros one...man I hate those with a passion, at the point where I'll away now and say "F-it" rather than waste my time on those.

Back