My i7 2700k overclocking results

Ok, so is your bios temp pooched or something? You had been quoting that 23o C IDLE ambient in the build thread but that was info from your bios. I thought that seemed insanely low at the time...

Ok, so is your bios temp pooched or something? You had been quoting that 23o C IDLE ambient in the build thread but that was info from your bios. I thought that seemed insanely low at the time...

Yes, I made a mistake there. I don't know why the BIOS gives a different number.

Which P95 tests are you running?

If you're stable on small FFTs, and stable at high on LinX, then there's a good chance that your RAM is the culprit. Or, it could simply be because it takes more time for the errors to show up.

Use a program called HCI Memtest to stress your RAM and test for stability.

Yeah, I used small FFT's. I'll do more tests and see. But why would the RAM be the culprit if it isn't overclocked at all? I'll try this HCI memtest and see as well.

As is said plenty of times in plenty of reviews, the H100 is a good cooler, but its not anywhere near a true custom loop (which costs quite a bit more). A big portion of your limit here could very well be your ambient though - if your inside temp around your case is truly 30-35C (~90+F - I don't how you stand that in your house, high 70s is borderline intolerable for me inside), then you're dealing with a deficit to overcome to start with.

Well guys, I'll do more tests and see how things go. But you know, I don't mind buying a true custom since H100 can't really cut it. I thought H100 will be better at lowering overclocked cpus at full load.

Any true loop recommendations? I'm willing to pay and get the best if it is guaranteed that I'll see temps lower than what I see now with my H100. I'll put the H100 in another rig, Or I'll sell it.

Thanks to all again.

With that case, if you're planning on sticking to CPU only, I would recommend getting the XSPC Rasa RX240 kit. Should cost you somewhere around $150, and come with everything you need besides distilled water.

RAM is notorious for being DOA, but just barely that it isn't noticeable in day to day usage. When you really start stressing it, then you'll notice the occasional error that might or might not lead to a blue screen.

Yes, I made a mistake there. I don't know why the BIOS gives a different number.

So what were your idles in hwmonitor? I'm starting to think I need to reset my H100. Anything over 1.4v sends my chip to 80c or so. Even at 1.35 I'm in the mid to high 70's under IBT.

Then again, I only have the two stock Corsair fans on my H100... I've been meaning to get 4 better fans for a push/pull setup.

With that case, if you're planning on sticking to CPU only, I would recommend getting the XSPC Rasa RX240 kit. Should cost you somewhere around $150, and come with everything you need besides distilled water.

RAM is notorious for being DOA, but just barely that it isn't noticeable in day to day usage. When you really start stressing it, then you'll notice the occasional error that might or might not lead to a blue screen.

So, is it proven that this XSPC kit is better than the H100?

What do you think about Swiftech H20-320 EDGE HD Series Liquid Cooling Kit ??

It looks better to me.

And what do you say about external liquid cooling kits? Are they worth it?

So what were your idles in hwmonitor? I'm starting to think I need to reset my H100. Anything over 1.4v sends my chip to 80c or so. Even at 1.35 I'm in the mid to high 70's under IBT.

Then again, I only have the two stock Corsair fans on my H100... I've been meaning to get 4 better fans for a push/pull setup.

I did replace my H100 fans. I used better high CFM fans I had laying around. I didn't use hwmonitor to measure temps yet, but I would assume it would show me same temps. About your temps, you are just like me. I guess that is the limit of the H100:(

I just flipped around the setup of my H100. I had the fans on the outside of the case pulling air through the radiator which was inside the case (500R). After swapping positions, fans now acting as exhaust, my idle temps are about the same (low 30s) but the max temps have gone down quite a bit. Max core temp was between 65-74 across the 4 cores. This is at 4.5Ghz 1.35v. It would be fun and nice to go with a full custom watercooled setup. But it's such a big pain in the ass lol.

I'm not sure there has been a side to side comparison of the XSPC kit against the H100, but it is certain that it is better. The waterblock is better, and the radiator is much better.

The reason why I didn't recommend the H20-320 EDGE HD is because you cannot fit a 360 radiator internally without modding. It's also significantly more expensive than the Rasa kits.

As for the differences, the Apogee HD block is better than the Rasa block. Radiator is arguable, and depends on the fans you're running. The XSPC radiators tend to have better finish and quality from what I've heard as compared to Swiftech. It's a low FPI, thick radiator, meaning it excels in low fan speed operations. The Swiftech is a medium FPI, thin radiator, so it does better in the higher RPM ranges. The MCP355 used in the Swiftech kit is better than the 750 pump in the Rasa kit, but as long as you stick to CPU only, the 750 pump is more than sufficient.

I'm not sure there has been a side to side comparison of the XSPC kit against the H100, but it is certain that it is better. The waterblock is better, and the radiator is much better.

The reason why I didn't recommend the H20-320 EDGE HD is because you cannot fit a 360 radiator internally without modding. It's also significantly more expensive than the Rasa kits.

As for the differences, the Apogee HD block is better than the Rasa block. Radiator is arguable, and depends on the fans you're running. The XSPC radiators tend to have better finish and quality from what I've heard as compared to Swiftech. It's a low FPI, thick radiator, meaning it excels in low fan speed operations. The Swiftech is a medium FPI, thin radiator, so it does better in the higher RPM ranges. The MCP355 used in the Swiftech kit is better than the 750 pump in the Rasa kit, but as long as you stick to CPU only, the 750 pump is more than sufficient.

Yeah I know about the 360 mm radiator, but I was willing to go for it. Anyways, looks like the rasa kit is the one to go with. I'm going to have to trust you on this.

Thanks.

If you're going watercooling, make sure to check out the watercooling subforum for ideas. You can get something called the Swiftech Radbox, which would hang the radiator off the rear 120mm fan port of your case. In fact, I have a spare one right now that might go on sale soon (if I can convince my cousin to part with it).

If you google Rasa RX240 vs H100, you will find that everyone says that the Rasa is by far the better cooling option.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sorry to have so many questions, but let's just do it. How much better it is if I custom built my own water cooling system ? I know it will be more work but I can be really selective about the parts. Is it worth it?

I don't think I need to cool my GPU with it though.

Thanks to all again.

The RS240 kit uses a thinner radiator (the RS series radiator) that does not cool as well as the RX radiator. It's cooling capacity is approximately 50-70% that of the RX radiator with the same fans.

Which external coolers are you talking about? There are several different ways to make a water cooling system external. A Swiftech Radbox (or similar), which hangs the radiator off the back of your case. A Koolance system, extremely overpriced and requires modding to the top of your case. Radiator stands, which allows you to place the radiators away from your computer. And then there's always the custom modding setups.

The RS240 kit uses a thinner radiator (the RS series radiator) that does not cool as well as the RX radiator. It's cooling capacity is approximately 50-70% that of the RX radiator with the same fans.

Which external coolers are you talking about? There are several different ways to make a water cooling system external. A Swiftech Radbox (or similar), which hangs the radiator off the back of your case. A Koolance system, extremely overpriced and requires modding to the top of your case. Radiator stands, which allows you to place the radiators away from your computer. And then there's always the custom modding setups.

Yes I was thinking about the koolance system when I said external. Anyways I don't care whether it is external or internal, I will just go with the best peformer I can get. I'll go custom if that's the way to achieve best cooling performance even if it is ganna be more work.

Watercooling is always the best way to achieve performance, besides extreme sub-ambient cooling systems.

More radiators = better cooling for less noise. If you really want to go all out, go make a new post in the watercooling subforum with your budget limit, and I can guarantee you we can make you a system that will use up your entire budget.

Watercooling is always the best way to achieve performance, besides extreme sub-ambient cooling systems.

More radiators = better cooling for less noise. If you really want to go all out, go make a new post in the watercooling subforum with your budget limit, and I can guarantee you we can make you a system that will use up your entire budget.

What kind of budgets are we talking about here? Yes, I want to go all out but if it is going to be more expensive than the whole machine, then I think that's being stupid.

I'll go post in the WC subforum.

Thanks.

It can start under $200 for the XSPC kits to infinity for a massive custom loop with all the bling. That's why budget is important. Also, whether or not aesthetics is important to you is another factor.

It can start under $200 for the XSPC kits to infinity for a massive custom loop with all the bling. That's why budget is important. Also, whether or not aesthetics is important to you is another factor.
Pretty sure $500 for a custom XSPC cpu watercooling setup is more than sufficient to add on plenty of bling :)

Back