My House Network Diagram

ppandemic

Gawd
HomeNetwork.jpg

1st diagram i've ever made, so i prolly messed some stuff up

ppandemic said:
dlink routers suck

So again I ask... why do you have both? It would be easier to have two nics (or more) in the Linux box and run it as the primary firewall/gateway.

Not too bad of a diagram... switches and hubs don't have IP addresses though.

i have the box on the router as a DMZ then the switch is set to gateway through the proxy running on the box

The diagram looks good.

But... your network could use some work. Seems a bit inefficient to me. I'd toss the router, use the firewall as the endpoint as others have said. (another thing, why would your "web" sever be on the inside? (assuming thats what xorserv is, running apache and all) Usually you have servers in a DMZ. Also, why 2 DNS servers? Are you slamming the hell out of the one, that you need a slave? Not to mention you could have all those services running on the one firewall. (unless its running some thing like IPCOP, but afaik will do DNS as well)

IMHO, just seems a bit overkill and inefficient.

sniggle,
Switch/hubs can have IP addresses providing they are managed switches/hubs. Hubs are nasty devices, surprised to see people still using them.

Malk-a-mite said:
What the purpose of having both the Dlink router and the linux firewall device?
Because they do suck, and there is no fun in using a home router anyways, Linux firewall distros have been getting more popular and any old PII PIII system put together makes a very powerful firewall and router solution.Cheap and efficient.

The network may be overkill, but its all a learning experience. I've just seen a lot of people not want to go the Linux firewall route, they think its "work" rather than fun and learning.

i will be making some adjusments today :)

I am currently in a class for my CCNA.. obviously i need some work :p

and the whole overkill thing is just for fun

wheres the vpn to my house?

EDIT: and where'd you get visio?

EDIT2: and who's the friend with all the gameservers?

Edit3: you need me to help rewire

WesM63 said:
Switch/hubs can have IP addresses providing they are managed switches/hubs. Hubs are nasty devices, surprised to see people still using them.

actually with hubs, if you are tracking things on your network, it becomes much easier than with switches. not many people know this unless you are concerned with network security.

A comment on your diagram, not your network.

Having the lines run over/through the devices they are connecting looks bad. I prefer to use the straight line connecter as well, and then move the labels so they aren't in the way.

The network looks like a good learning environment - you've got a webserver, firewall, and plenty of other stuff to test out and work with. Not the most efficent, but thats not what a test environment is all about.

what is the red squiggly line at your friends house?
Also, if you connection is half-duplex, I am surprised to see that it is asymmetric as well. All half-duplex connections I have ever seen have the same rate regardless of the transmission's direction.

WesM63 said:
The diagram looks good.

But... your network could use some work. Seems a bit inefficient to me. I'd toss the router, use the firewall as the endpoint as others have said. (another thing, why would your "web" sever be on the inside? (assuming thats what xorserv is, running apache and all) Usually you have servers in a DMZ. Also, why 2 DNS servers? Are you slamming the hell out of the one, that you need a slave? Not to mention you could have all those services running on the one firewall. (unless its running some thing like IPCOP, but afaik will do DNS as well)

IMHO, just seems a bit overkill and inefficient.

sniggle,

if you are going to host your own domain you need 2 dns servers.

nice diagram, think everyone has covered everything i am a little late on the this one i see :p

dx2 said:
if you are going to host your own domain you need 2 dns servers.

D'oh.. thats true i knew that. Wasn't thinking along those lines thou.

protias,
I've never heard that before. I've tracked tons of stuff on peoples networks and never had a problem with switches. Hubs are nasty devices because they are bandwidth inefficient. (amongst many other reasons)

WesM63 said:
D'oh.. thats true i knew that. Wasn't thinking along those lines thou.

protias,
I've never heard that before. I've tracked tons of stuff on peoples networks and never had a problem with switches. Hubs are nasty devices because they are bandwidth inefficient. (amongst many other reasons)

Protias is commenting on the fact that hubs are easier to use when doing things like packet sniffing and network analysis work. Its because of the way hubs are designed to work. Switches on the other hand are harder to work with in this respect. Unless you do some hacking (such as arp poisoning) to the network, packet sniffing on a switched network will not yeild the kind of results that one would get from a hub based network.

Hubs have their place in todays modern network setups. I see them in small home and office setups, DMZs, and etc.

To the OP: the network looks good for a learning lab. Get some 180 day trial versions of sql and excahnge from microsoft and start learning on those. These are the kinds of things you will see in a large majority of medium to large buisness setups. That is if you are looking for a career in the Information systems feild.

WesM63 said:
Hubs are nasty devices because they are bandwidth inefficient. (amongst many other reasons)

my biggest problem with being on a hub is all of the collision.. its horrible =( thats why i stick the family computer and the ps2 which isnt used much on it

Private Citizen said:
To the OP: the network looks good for a learning lab. Get some 180 day trial versions of sql and excahnge from microsoft and start learning on those. These are the kinds of things you will see in a large majority of medium to large buisness setups. That is if you are looking for a career in the Information systems feild.

I am currently working on my CCNA :)

---

also thanks for the help, i am going to remake my diagram and repost it.

Nice little network to learn on.

One thing that appears confusing is the way you diagramed your Linux firewall... it looks like it's just hanging off the router... like it's the routers freind... not doing nothing, just chilling. Keeping it company.

The dlink then looks like it can route to either the internet or the firewall... you know, in case you want to ping your inactive firewall. :p

I'm joking, but changing that part of in the image up a bit might make it easier to read.

What software are you using for VPN?

Private Citizen said:
Protias is commenting on the fact that hubs are easier to use when doing things like packet sniffing and network analysis work. Its because of the way hubs are designed to work. Switches on the other hand are harder to work with in this respect. Unless you do some hacking (such as arp poisoning) to the network, packet sniffing on a switched network will not yeild the kind of results that one would get from a hub based network.

Hubs have their place in todays modern network setups. I see them in small home and office setups, DMZs, and etc.

I agree and disagree ;) In a network where you don't know what device is having problems, yes a hub is better to use to analyze the network. However, if you know what device is having problems you can packet sniff fine with a switch. (providing its a decent switch where you can monitor a port via another port)

I see them too, but they don't belong there. In my line of work (Network Engineer) i have used them to sniff networks, but would not recommend one to be used in a current live network.

Yea, I hate hubs also with a passion... but this is a small HOME network... the only thing he's got on it is a PS and home computer. I would use a hub in my house if that was the only thing I had laying around. Then again you can get a cheap switch for like $15

It's not like he's pumping Gigs of data to and from this playstation :p

Ok i've updated my network diagram.. out goes the shitty dlink router, in with the freesco based box! :D ...also cleaned some stuff up :)

Network.jpg

ppandemic said:
Ok i've updated my network diagram.. out goes the shitty dlink router, in with the freesco based box! :D ...also cleaned some stuff up :)

You lost your connection to p4-box1 in the bedroom.

ok well my brain is like fryed i forget what the difference between full and half duplex

Also something of note, you may have to put a hub above your router if you are truely using async half duplex DSL. Most newer consumer-level NICs and switches can't autonegotiate half duplex 10baseT very well.

Back