my first (true) HTPC

ZygoatD

Weaksauce
starting out with the case.

P7060907.jpg

i have been pretty happy with this case. the fit and finish is excellent. and they seem to have thought things out. the one thing about it is that it is very long (deep) so it would not fit in my *little* entertainment center... some modification was in order.

P7060906.jpg

i cut out the back so it could pass through. this is even better imo because all the hot air is sent out and away, instead of being sucked back into the case. also all the cables are completely hidden behind the back.

P7070911.jpg

the way the p/s mounts is a little odd, and i think they could have mounted it normally if the case was only slightly bigger. (i guess they saved a little space by doing it this way. it works well, so no complainants there.)

P7070912.jpg

starting the build. i re-built my main system, so the old parts got re-purposed.

PC170311.jpg

a little cable management. altho its still alot of cables in a little space. i also modified the case fan cables and made custom connectors. (to try and help the wiring mess) see next pic.
PC180313.jpg

it did fit my raid 0 array (2 drives) (just) and a blu ray drive. the graphics card was just for testing, while waiting for the proper one to arrive.

PC180314.jpg

here is the new graphics card. HD4670 1GB. and the tuner card Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual TV Tuner

P1070473.jpg

powered on (still waiting on the blu ray drive here.)

P1040444.jpg

the remote that came with it (i mon by soundgraph.) i have been very pleased with both the vfd, (display) as well as the remote and the software. everything is programmable and program specific. most of the common (or even not so common) programs have control profiles already loaded, and they have updated the software several times since i have owned it. works flawlessly with win 7 64 bit home premium and wmc.

P1160488.jpg

blu ray finally installed.

P1160487.jpg

i made some stands for my surround speakers. out of some exhaust tubing and steel plate. then painted them black.

P9090013.jpg

the speaker cables run inside the tube and the tops can rotate, so i can aim them as i please.

P9090017.jpg

they have since been bolted to the couch. (looks good i promise) ill have to get a pic.

Last edited:
the remote that came with it (i mon by soundgraph.) i have been very pleased with both the vfd, (display) as well as the remote and the software. everything is programmable and program specific. most of the common (or even not so common) programs have control profiles already loaded, and they have updated the software several times since i have owned it. works flawlessly with win 7 64 bit home premium and wmc.

Have they actually fixed it so that it supports tap-to-type in WMC? (i.e. that you hit the number "2" key once for "A", twice for "B", etc)

Because lack of the support for that has pissed me off and forced me to keep a regular external MCE remote/ir receiver around. I haven't played with the updated software in awhile so was curious.

im not 100% sure what your asking. i get the tap to type idea, but im not sure if it would be a wmc issue or if it an issue with soundgraph.

i tried to do it really quick today. just using the search function in wmc. it did not support tap to type. altho i did not spend any time looking for the function to enable it.

i have a wireless keyboard and mouse, so if i need to type something i just use that.

they do have the on screen virtual key board, but we all know how much fun that is to use.

here is the update pic of the speaker stands mounted to the couch. ( i know not the best option, but they could not be mounted to the back wall, and placing the stands against the wall would have drug cables all across the floor.)

P1310541.jpg

made from electrical conduit clamps. (painted black) and foam insulation to ensure a nice tight hold. also the screws are isolated with rubber washers.

im not 100% sure what your asking. i get the tap to type idea, but im not sure if it would be a wmc issue or if it an issue with soundgraph.

i tried to do it really quick today. just using the search function in wmc. it did not support tap to type. altho i did not spend any time looking for the function to enable it.

i have a wireless keyboard and mouse, so if i need to type something i just use that.

they do have the on screen virtual key board, but we all know how much fun that is to use.

It's not an issue with WMC, it's an issue with Soundgraph. They've refused to support the functionality since it's inception and when you said it worked "flawlessly" I was hoping you meant they fixed it :p (I have a case with the built-in VFD/IR as well, which is why I would prefer to use it... but not until they stop making shitty IR receivers). Having to pull out a keyboard just to skip to an artist deep in your music selection is a bit ridiculous. Oh well!

Good idea with the speaker stands, looks pretty good

You dont happen to have a link to where you bought that case from do you? It looks really rad!

i got it from newegg. i looked again the other day and i couldn't find it. dont know if they stopped carrying it or what.

Back