my first few days with the Nikon D70 (pics)

Do the pictures from your D70 look good to you? I mean to justify keeping it. How about the usability? The simplistic nature of the camera (is it intuative). How are the controls?

If you like the camera, than it was a good choice. I am kinda perturbed by all this talk about what makes a camera good. Not really anything makes the camera good. The camera is just the tool in taking a picture. You can take an unintresting picture of a rock, and the colour is awsome, and the whitebalance is great, and the contrast is spot on, but its still just an unintresting picture of a rock.

Photography is what you make of it. If you are out to aww and ohhh everyone than your purpose is to get in to the pictures, and draw the life from them. If your purpose to sell them for profit you need to get into area's, places, events, and situations that will allow you maximum exposure to your subjects. If your purpose is to collect, and view them privatly, who cares what you shoot as long as YOU are happy with the results.

I throw out alot of pictures. Why cause they SUCK. Yep they suck. Why? Well because I forgot to adjust the apature once, my flash didn't fire, the subject moved at 1/60th of a second shutter. Shit I can't count the number of pictures I have tossed. Do I care? Nope its all about what is pleasing to the eye. What is pleasing to the masses (I shoot for people).

My favorite picture isn't a technically "good" picture, its a picture I took of a group of friends, that makes me happy everytime I see it. It makes me remember the awsome times we had. Photography is like art, well shit it IS ART. It is supposed to tug on emotions, and pull at the heart. Its not supposed to be boiled down to "technical" comparisons.

You camera is a tool. Thats it. A plain old tool. It only makes it easier for your to take pictures. Ozz. You pic's look good to me, your subjects are boring but your just goofing off.

Mr. Bucket - Your technical expertise amazes me, but your artistry is lacking (IMHO). Then again maybe your not an Artist photographer? I don't know you very much.

[TQ] You have a good eye it seems. I would like to see some of your picts.

Anyway this kinda rambled a bit but its my speal, and thats that.

Cheers,

Hey ozz, you put whole new meaning to the words cam whore. :)

Nah, just messing with ya. I can't wait the day until I'll be able/willing to buy a DSLR.

Originally posted by Phatty
:rolleyes:

Yep. That's my view on the kid as well.

Stand-aside, Bucket. We've got a larger ego on these boards now. lol :p

That is very rude of you....if you don't like his work, critique it. Just rolling your eyes shows your lack of knowledge in this subject and lack of respect for other photographers.

I'm flattered by your lovely review of some of my work.

It ammuses me that this is the best you've got. I've got no ego when it comes to my work. Hell if you wana critique my work then by all means do it. I'm more willing to learn with my photography then any other aspect in my life.

Your useless reply helps no one, and only makes you look like a low-vocabulary prick.

Now, i'm not gonna say i'm right...but for a person who's been doing this for a year i dont think i'm all that bad.

Originally posted by royjr
Yep. That's my view on the kid as well.

Stand-aside, Bucket. We've got a larger ego on these boards now. lol :p

As for you. You have nothing better to do then to take my work and name it as your own. I think that tells me something about how you feel of my photos. And i'm flattered.

Never stated your work as bad, and I never stated it was wonderful. Well,....not nearly as wonderful as you make yourself out to be, that's all. "Come see all my great pics @ www.blah-blah-blah.com " That's just how you came off, that's all.

I merely find you to be neurotic and egotistical. Hence, why I decided to fool with you. Then, of course, you fly off the handle and make yourself out to be a jackhole.

Personally, your sleeping cat pic was very sub-par, IMO. Although, I did like the stream pic; with it's low POV.

When i said "all my good pics" i mean that i have over 7 gigs of photos on my hard drive and a mere handfull are good enough to put on the internet. That is all.

I fully understand your reasoning for doing what you did to my photo, i'm fully aware it had nothing to do with the photo its self. But the fact is that if you are a photographer, much more a photographer with any ethics/morals, you wouldnt have done what you did. I couldnt care less what you think of me, thats no excuse for breaking

A.) the law
B.) the copyright rule on these message boards
C.) a rule in the photography world...you'll never have my respect, granted i doubt you care.

this thread needs to get on topic and fast...

Nikon D70... discuss...

canon > * ;)

Originally posted by FLECOM
this thread needs to get on topic and fast...

Nikon D70... discuss...

canon > * ;)

I agree....

The one thing i do love about the nikons is the cover they put over the LCD...

Originally posted by ozziegn
here's couple quick shots I took earlier while I was looking for some bushes. again, all shots are straight out of the camera 'cept for downsizing for the web which is a shame cuz you really cant appreciate the images unless you're viewing them at their native resolution but at nearly 2.5MBs each, I wouldnt want to piss the 56Kers off too bad. :D

example3.jpg

example4.jpg

example5.jpg

a quick stop at the auto parts store for some Penzoil... :p

example6.jpg

example7.jpg

-I'm sorry but there's no way in hell my Digital Rebel wouldve given me these clear, crisp shots like these straight out of the camera. maybe with some USM-ing and some fine tuning but not straight from the camera. then again, maybe I had a dud for a Digital Rebel...?
penziol? wtf are you thinking? well atleast its not quaker state castrol gtx damnit!

I'm gonna go test one of these D70s out soon....looking pretty cool to me. I really like my digital rebel but it doesn't hurt to shop around :]

Ugh, how can you manage to switch systems so often?

I was using a D2H today at the camera shop to get an idea of what a pro 8 fps dslr feels like and the Nikon system of controls is so confusing. You have gone from Sony to Canon to Nikon, just stick with a brand for once :p

The D2H was amazing, 8 fps is so fast and the exposure was dead on. With the AF I would press the shutter release down half way and it would pause a tiny bit before focusing, but it was always dead on. Can't wait to see how my EOS-1D Mark II will compare to the D2H.

Stop worrying about your camera so much and take pictures.

A camera CANNOT make a picture (and that's the ONLY thing that matters). Only you can. Why are you so obsessed with the camera?

I'm not a Michael Reichmann fanboy, but you're exactly the type of person he's talking about in his recent articles.

By the way, he's a far better photographer than you ;)

Originally posted by Mr_Bucket
Can't wait to see how my EOS-1D Mark II will compare to the D2H.
WTF your getting one!?! Buy me one too :] and ozzigen, you must be one of the most undecisive people i have seen, you never have a camera for more than a month it seems lol. On topic, it seems that the D70 does have some nice color, although to me it seems a bit over saturated almost, but yes very crisp and nice, especially for a kit lens.

Originally posted by Hooker
WTF your getting one!?! Buy me one too :] and ozzigen, you must be one of the most undecisive people i have seen, you never have a camera for more than a month it seems lol. On topic, it seems that the D70 does have some nice color, although to me it seems a bit over saturated almost, but yes very crisp and nice, especially for a kit lens.

Yep, put a deposit down yesterday. The store said their Canon rep would tell them thier allocation of cameras on monday. I hope they get atleast 3 becuase I'm 3rd on the list at the store :D. No one seems to know when they are coming out and in what quantity yet, but someone managed to get one in New Zealand allready.

Originally posted by Mr_Bucket
Yep, put a deposit down yesterday. The store said their Canon rep would tell them thier allocation of cameras on monday. I hope they get atleast 3 becuase I'm 3rd on the list at the store :D. No one seems to know when they are coming out and in what quantity yet, but someone managed to get one in New Zealand allready.

As i understand it your roughly my age...i make "alot" of money for a kid my age, as such i can understand the 10D and the 100-400L you own...but how in gods name can you afford a $5000 camera.

But uhh, since your getting it, what are you doing with your 10D?

Originally posted by [TQ]
As i understand it your roughly my age...i make "alot" of money for a kid my age, as such i can understand the 10D and the 100-400L you own...but how in gods name can you afford a $5000 camera.

But uhh, since your getting it, what are you doing with your 10D?

I'll admit I'm not paying for all of it, but I am paying for most of it.

I was going to attend a course at the School of Visual Arts in New York City over the summer, but I tried to sign up too late. My parents figured I can have my aunts friend teach me some stuff instead (hes been publish in Sports Illustrated and has stuff in the Museam of Modern Art) and use the money they had saved for the course towards the camera.

The 10D will be a backup, and my mom will use it for taking pictures of wildlife and stuff like that.

Fair enough, i just hope you can apreciate it. Too many kids my age dont apreciate when their parents help them out with trivial stuff like this. I hope you enjoy your new camera.

I envy you, ya slut ;-)

Fair enough, i just hope you can apreciate it. Too many kids my age dont apreciate when their parents help them out with trivial stuff like this. I hope you enjoy your new camera.

I envy you, ya slut ;-)

Heh, I can't wait for the damn thing, Oh I know they are helping me alot, and just to imagine Last year at this time I only had a 2 megapixel old Kodak camera. My parents buying a Canon S45 is what got me into photography.

Well I get busy for awhile and, Ozzie buys a D70. Well congrats on the purchase. I too am going to pick up the kit when I get one.
After that I figure a few ED lenses will be nice and, a nice macro or, 2. So Im guessing you are shooting in the raw mode to get such large images. Also what storage did you get for the camera and, how fast is it writing to it? Also did you pick up the IR remote for it as, well?

I envy you, ya slut ;-)

ha, i dunno how old you are, but i WISH my parents would have helped me pay for my 10D :(

i would kill for a 1D Mark II

its not the camera that makes the photo... but hell, at 8.5 FPS, one of them is bound to be good ;)

Originally posted by Joves
Well I get busy for awhile and, Ozzie buys a D70. Well congrats on the purchase. I too am going to pick up the kit when I get one.
After that I figure a few ED lenses will be nice and, a nice macro or, 2. So Im guessing you are shooting in the raw mode to get such large images. Also what storage did you get for the camera and, how fast is it writing to it? Also did you pick up the IR remote for it as, well?

I just have one 512MB CF card thats made by Kingston that I bought from Newegg a while back ago. I dont need any of them fancy-schmancy 40X Ultra fast CF cards cuz I hardly ever shoot in RAW mode meaning my D70 writes fast enough for my needs.

as for buying the IR remote, that'd be a negative. no one helps me pay for jack in life so that means I have to watch what a I spend my pennies on and where they go. yes, I know that life's not fair but oh well. thats where the term "tough titty" comes into play. :(

*on a side note*

I almost came (this "-" close) to ordering a 1DMarkII myself but a light bulb idea turned on inside my head and stopped me which I'm glad I did because freakin' $4500 is a boat-load of money to spend on something if its not gonna make ya money. and just think, that $4500 doesnt even include a lens so you're looking at spending at least another $600 - $700+ on a good starter L lens. so now you've easily hit the $5K mark on just a camera body and a one lens to start taking pictures.

And that would have been very stupid since you sold all of your EF lenses too.

Originally posted by torment

My thought's exactly, considering how solid an investment lenses are.

well, i fondled a D70 yesterday. This guy at a local Easter Egg Hunt was using one and we started talking a bit about it. He let me borrow it for a couple minutes to take some shots.
Man, that is a NICE camera. It's the first time i've felt like i was holding a real camera since my N80. And all those features i missed from my 35mm SLR are all right there. Great feel and balance to it, my little Fuji FinePix just feels like a child's toy compared to the D70.

argh! it's going to be at least 3-4 months before i can spring for that baby.

Originally posted by torment

all my EF lenses?

I only had two of them. it isnt like I had a bunch of zooms and primes in my collection bag.

but buying them again wouldnt be that much of a big deal because I did get most of my money back that I had invested in them.

oh well, like I said. 5K bones is alot of money to spend...

Back