My "Apology" of glossy coatings

tybert7

2[H]4U
I know for many this is like a voice in the wilderness. But glossy coatings are amazing, and if the haters out there would give them a chance, they might come to love them too.

I am staring at one now, and there is a window behind me, if I pay attention I notice reflections, but honestly I can tune it out. And for those less mentally capable, you can still simply tilt the monitor slightly and avoid a direct glare issue. At least if it is located in a home and not an office where you have less control.

In lit rooms, with lots of ambient light, the sharpness and contrast levels of the glossy are by and large FAR superior. This is not a debatable point. I know some now are already thinking of a counter response, but I trust that most of you are wiser not to.

When light hits the glossy coating far more of it is reflected off the screen, that means less light is saturating the darker areas, meaning they look darker. Plain and simple, with enough ambient light, the effect is noticeable and drastic. Also, when light hits a matte screen by contrast, the light tends not to reflect and instead it sort of scatters within the sheet over the screen, often causing a hazy light effect. The glossy gives you SHARP in contrast.

To me this is incredibly ugly, though it only really gets noticeable when light is being shined on the screen more directly.

Now in a nearly dark room these effects are largely nil. But I hope I am impressed at least SOME of the benefits of going with a glossy coating. If you are so insufferable when it comes to the mere potential of glare, and are willing to forgo VASTLY superior functional contrast and sharpness, then by all means, suffer with inferior screen performance (due to the loss of advantages listed above with the glossy).

Pick your poison, and your benefit.

I chose sharpness and greater overall functional contrast.

over

Glare potential that is functionally a non issue for me due to the capacity to perform the INCREDIBLY complex task of... tilting the screen a few degrees.

I kid glossy haters, I kid. (puts Triumph cigar into mouth)

I much prefer glossy but I wont detract from those that prefer matt finish.
It depends on the room light levels, how light the walls are, how much light comes in through windows and where they are placed and what is reflecting.
Glossy ftw though :)

I much prefer glossy but I wont detract from those that prefer matt finish.
It depends on the room light levels, how light the walls are, how much light comes in through windows and where they are placed and what is reflecting.
Glossy ftw though :)

For some twisted reason, I enjoy debating issue of taste. Though it really is like trying to sweep the desert clean of sand.

I agree i love my glossy! I think that alot of viewers look at reviews of people stateing that glossy has glare. Instead of buying and looking for themselves they buy an awesome matte screen that looks so much better then there previous (whatever) that adds to the i love my screen with its matte finish. They don't know what they are truly missing. Even a 2 year gap from an lcd to a jump from one lcd to another makes a big diffrence. one lcds' glossy may be diffrent from another. the last year and a half has really took a plunge in lcd tech toward more tn's and less h-ips/va tech. I almost bought into the matte thing. It is nowhere as reflective as my crt was!

I don't understand you folks - glossy == reflections everywhere and plenty of eye strain. I don't like that companies are putting excessive AG coating on matte screens (LG I am talking about you) but I hate glossy even more. Best screen for use is a non-grainy matte screen. And yes I use glossy screen myself (stupid laptop) and it is a nightmare to find a good position to use it especially with overhead fluorescent tubes.

I don't understand you folks - glossy == reflections everywhere and plenty of eye strain. I don't like that companies are putting excessive AG coating on matte screens (LG I am talking about you) but I hate glossy even more. Best screen for use is a non-grainy matte screen. And yes I use glossy screen myself (stupid laptop) and it is a nightmare to find a good position to use it especially with overhead fluorescent tubes.

It depends on your environment as already mentioned, its not that hard to understand.
If you only have bright rooms, it probably isnt for you.
My walls are wooden so glossy is perfect.

Also, when light hits a matte screen by contrast, the light tends not to reflect and instead it sort of scatters within the sheet over the screen, often causing a hazy light effect. The glossy gives you SHARP in contrast.

To me this is incredibly ugly, though it only really gets noticeable when light is being shined on the screen more directly.

I have problems with this on my HP LP2475w that I didn't get on my older glossy NEC. I would have chosen a glossy display if there was a good 24" glossy non-TN (the only one I know of is the Hazro, and that has other drawbacks), but I find the haze from the window which is to the right and above the monitor to be very distracting with this monitor.

I've seen matte that look terrible and terrific, I've seen glossy that have looked the same. If I find a good quality image with little BLB and no dead or stuck pixels I'm happy regardless what type it is.

That said, I'm using a glossy.

I guess "Apology" means troll. Haven't you been in enough or started enough glossy threads yet?

My wife's laptop has a glossy screen and I like it a lot and it does not bother me, and if I get a laptop myself I would get it glossy. However for my gaming monitor, I just went with normal one since I have a window behind me and I'm a bit picky and if there is glare then it would bother me.

I was in Costco yesterday looking in the computer and electronics section. The glossy HP jumped out at me... it looked great. Amazing.

I tried to buy it, but it was part of a package deal with the computer. The model was HP W2408 with the Vivid color widescreen. 24". I really like it.

Thanks for your thread.

I use a glossy HP at work and due to the ridiculous amounts of reflections I find it difficult to read these Glossy vs Non Glossy threads. Ironic.

I really do love glossy too. I came to like them when I used my laptop inside my house. Where I use it, I didn't really have much of an issue with glare and such. That is why I got the A650 rather than the matte A550. However, I wish my laptop was matte in a lot of instances when I use it at school an such. It can be hard to read at times.

I know for many this is like a voice in the wilderness. But glossy coatings are amazing, and if the haters out there would give them a chance, they might come to love them too.

I am staring at one now, and there is a window behind me, if I pay attention I notice reflections, but honestly I can tune it out. And for those less mentally capable, you can still simply tilt the monitor slightly and avoid a direct glare issue. At least if it is located in a home and not an office where you have less control.

In lit rooms, with lots of ambient light, the sharpness and contrast levels of the glossy are by and large FAR superior. This is not a debatable point. I know some now are already thinking of a counter response, but I trust that most of you are wiser not to.

When light hits the glossy coating far more of it is reflected off the screen, that means less light is saturating the darker areas, meaning they look darker. Plain and simple, with enough ambient light, the effect is noticeable and drastic. Also, when light hits a matte screen by contrast, the light tends not to reflect and instead it sort of scatters within the sheet over the screen, often causing a hazy light effect. The glossy gives you SHARP in contrast.

Now in a nearly dark room these effects are largely nil. But I hope I am impressed at least SOME of the benefits of going with a glossy coating. If you are so insufferable when it comes to the mere potential of glare, and are willing to forgo VASTLY superior functional contrast and sharpness, then by all means, suffer with inferior screen performance (due to the loss of advantages listed above with the glossy).

Pick your poison, and your benefit.

I chose sharpness and greater overall functional contrast.

over

Glare potential that is functionally a non issue for me due to the capacity to perform the INCREDIBLY complex task of... tilting the screen a few degrees.

I kid glossy haters, I kid. (puts Triumph cigar into mouth)

THANK YOU

glossy screens make crappy panels look good

i was crossed between getting a remaining 2693HM at BB or getting the HP 2408.

the 2693 was the way better deal, i got it from BB for $560 w/ 4 year warranty from BB.
the 2408 doesn't have a dvi which is annoying. also it's 1.5" smaller (not a big deal).
also thw hap would cost over $600 with the 4yr warranty... still i am really thinking about returning the 2693 and getting the 2408 it's SOOO fawking sharp...

<3 my Gateway FHD2400, never going back to matte screen.

back in CRT days don't really remember people complaning that much about reflections, I guess it was just accepted.

Glossy FTW! I have one. 20.1 NEC 20WMGX2 and I love it! I use a matte type finish at work and I just dont like them. You get used to it when you first use one and will never go back. Im in the market for a new screen but I cant seem to find a 24 inch thats great like this one.

On desktop, there's no need for matte. But in laptops its a different thing. I put a touchscreen in my netbook and had to give up matt finish. I took out the anti glare and installed touch panel on top. Panel somewhat shiny finish, not glossy though.

Using low backlight level is now impossible, which cuts the battery time significantly.

On desktop, there's no need for matte. But in laptops its a different thing.

I agree. Glossy is fine for desktops IMHO, but for laptops its useless. I have had too many problems using laptops with glossy screens. I can't control the conditions where I use laptops like I can control the room I have my desktop in.

THANK YOU

glossy screens make crappy panels look good

Remember that as you enter a big box store and see virtually EVERY notebook panel covered with a glossy screen.

It works. Though I agree that a matte screen makes much more sense for the innumerable people who take their notebooks all over the place with little control over reflective environments. But I suppose they just want to make up for the lower brightness levels by forcing less ambient light saturation via glossy coatings.

btw, some glossy panels are excellent, and made even BETTER all around in terms of sharpness like my NEC 20wmgx2

It's all personal preference. I acknowledge that glossy screens can look better sometimes; the ones I've seen seem to have better contrast and better color (at least by my untrained eye). However, I absolutely can't stand glare of any kind and I am willing to sacrifice the benefits of glossy to eliminate that glare as much as possible. Sucks that it kinda narrows down my choices of notebooks though.

They're also terrible for office environments. I know a guy that rearranges his windowed office twice a year just because of the glare on his glossy laptop screen. It annoyed the hell out of me every time I worked on it.

I've used glossy and matte, and firmly favour matte.

I shouldn't have to "tune out" reflections when I've spent £450 on a monitor.

I tend to think that industry looks more toward matte becasue \it doesn't have reflections but was this an issue when crt's were the only thing around!

Some CRT's glass had a coating you had to be careful not to rub off/scratch.
There were quite a few companies selling anti glare filters but much of that was hype about radiation.

I remeber those days. wife was sneezed on my samsung 993 df and i took a sponge and scratched it to hell . Was like the smalles dot pitch monitor there was. .20 mm not .24 like the last trintrons were. Super fine pitch it was like auto antialising without the software!

My laptop has glossy coatings and its the worst thing i have ever seen in my entire damn life, its almost unusable under some conditions i go through on a constant basis at college.

Sunny day + glossy screen laptop = Major eye strains

I was in Costco yesterday looking in the computer and electronics section. The glossy HP jumped out at me... it looked great. Amazing.

I tried to buy it, but it was part of a package deal with the computer. The model was HP W2408 with the Vivid color widescreen. 24". I really like it.

Thanks for your thread.

I love my 2408! the HDMI thing I actually kinda like, since it uses the HDMI audio also, so when I hook up my roomate's PS3, it can use the monitor speakers! I'd rather have to get a DVI adapter than the other way around, since sound wouldn't work that way.

plus, i like inserting my reflection into movies with nice ladies ;)

joking aside, the sharpness is excellent on the screen and I love how vivid the image on it is

I was around when the only monitors you could buy were glossy CRTs. I was there when they came out with anti-glare filters and well remember rows of monitors all with little filters glued to the front. I was there when they invented the anti-glare coatings which almost doubled the price of the monitor. I was there when they finally made all monitors (and LCDs) matte. Now I am here when they make monitors intentionally glossy and I just shake my head.

Yes, in a perfectly controlled lighting situation glossy typically provides a richer image than matte, but one single reflection of any kind at any angle introduces things onto the screen that should not be there, eliminating any and all advantages of a glossy screen.

I will purchase a glossy screen when they pry my matte finish LCDs out of my cold dead hands. Oh wait, I'll be dead so I guess I still wont buy one!

Allan

Glossy FTW! I have one. 20.1 NEC 20WMGX2 and I love it! I use a matte type finish at work and I just dont like them. You get used to it when you first use one and will never go back. Im in the market for a new screen but I cant seem to find a 24 inch thats great like this one.

My boat exactley. Will never find a nice panel as the 20wmgx2 in 24"

I think that glossy screens are fantastic, I actually prefer my colors over-saturated. I do light photoshop work as well, no major problems thus far.

In case of let's say "informed customers" glossy vs matte is not a big problem. But I think people should be generally warned of glossy screen, otherwise they may experience some problems liek headaches and increased eyestrain while not knowing, what it the cause ("Everyone told me, how LCDs are great compared to CRTs, now I have this big headache.". Speaking of personal experience :)

Are there not some lighting conditions where glossy is better than matte (where you don't get significant reflections, but do get glare from a window alongside the monitor)? The assumption seems to be that matte is always superior or at least equally as good for avoiding eye strain, but is that necessarily the case?

Are there not some lighting conditions where glossy is better than matte (where you don't get significant reflections, but do get glare from a window alongside the monitor)? The assumption seems to be that matte is always superior or at least equally as good for avoiding eye strain, but is that necessarily the case?

If you have large amounts of ambient light hitting the screen where it is NOT reflected at an angle giving direct reflections, but still saturating the screen, the Glossy will perform MUCH better precisely because much of that light will be reflected away from the screen, if you placed a glossy next to a matte in that situation, the glossy would look orders of magnitude more sharp and have orders of magnitude better contrast as it deflects light that would go through and heavily saturate the dark areas of a matte screen. Let me see if I can find a picture example (long shot).

Here is a sloppy example, based on the position there is some glare, but the dark areas are noticeably darker on the glossy coating. I will try and get a better example.

macbooks-matte-screen-2.jpg

Actually, why bother, this image is a good enough illustration, someone else can post a better if they want to.

For many people, any reflection is anathema, and so those people should stick with matte. I understand that the idea that seeing ones own reflection is so frightening to some that the danger of looking into the beast is just too great to risk a glossy panel. (I kid, I kid)

But seriously, it comes down to personal preference. I prefer superior contrast performance and a sharper image than forfeiting those pluses to achieve total anti reflection in any circumstance (and even then, said reflections can be greatly diminished with the proper angle and controlling lighting placement)

Also notice, even on the matte, having light shine on a matte screen is not like light hitting some type of theoretical black body where all light disappears. There is a GREAT DEAL of light that simply scatters across the screen, saturating the darks, and creating a hazy effect. And that haze is more persistent at wider angles of incidence as the light is scattered about, with a glossy, it is more a sharp angular vector for the light. Tilting a matte screen to the side a bit will NOT reduce the haze the same way tilting a glossy with redirect the more direct reflections.

I HATE that. I prefer crisp and sharp, but that is my taste. Again, this is not talking about a notebook where you have less control, this is a case for glossy on HOME monitors. And there I think there is a much stronger case for the superior performer, the glossy.

I was around when the only monitors you could buy were glossy CRTs.

<lots deleted>

I will purchase a glossy screen when they pry my matte finish LCDs out of my cold dead hands. Oh wait, I'll be dead so I guess I still wont buy one!

Allan

+1 for Flea77

One just has to look at what finish is on the "color calibrated" professional graphics level LCD monitors to figure out what real professionals use.
http://www.eizo.com/products/graphics/index.asp
http://www.samsung.com/us/system/consumer/product/2008/02/29/ls30eddlbxaa/XLseries_Datasheet_LR.pdf
Nobody's going to successfully argue that contrast and sharpness don't matter to these users...

And no, Apple, doesn't make professional level monitors anymore, they've jumped the shark and have become a solely fashion/style driven company, rather than one that used to also supply equipment for graphics professionals.

Back