mx record and nameserver problem - catch22

Webberson

Weaksauce
I am having a problem with some website management. I have a hosting company that holds my domain name and a hosting package, which I only use for email. I also use an admin company that ultimately hosts my website. I can set my settings according to the hosting company suggestions and my email works, but the website does not. If I change the settings according to the admin suggestions, the website works, but the email does not. Here is a fictitious set up with the hosting company settings so that the email works, but the website does not (Web pages show error 404).

domain name = JohnDoe.com (hosted by gohosting.com)
admin site = bigcompany.com
my assigned domain from bigcompany = JohnDoe99.bigcompany.com
my hosting company = gohosting.com
Settings on the gohosting control panel

ns record = host = JohnDoe.com, points to: ns1.bigcompany.com; ns2.bigcompany.com
nameservers = ns1.gohosting.com; ns2.gohosting.com
mx records = host: @, points to: mx.JohnDoe.com; host: *, points to: mx.JohnDoe.com
alias = domain points to a URL: http://johndoe99.bigcompany.com

As I said, when set up as above, the email from gohosting works, but not the site. If I change the nameservers to: ns1.bigcompany.com & ns2.bigcompany.com, the website works, but not the email hosted by gohosting.com
Anybody have any ideas?

nameservers host the actual DNS zone which is what contains the actual a records, mx records, and other specific DNS records.

My guess is that bigcompany has the proper DNS zone setup for the website, and gohosting has the proper dns zone for your email. You need to see if you can edit the DNS zone/records at either of those and then get the mx records/other records setup properly.

Ns servers are the servers used to lookup names so either big company or Johnjoe can be used

Once you choose you namservers, edit the records at either your registrar or hoster:
A records:
"@" - point to ip address of website
"Mail" - point to ip address of email server
(also point "smtp" and "pop3" and "imap" to email server for better compatibility of outlook auto setup)
("autodiscover" - point to ip of email server if using exchange server)

Mx records:
@ - point to mail.yourdomain.com

You delegated the DNS to bigcompany.com. by using the NS records.

Any DNS changes you make at gohosting are completely irrelevant, they aren't authoritative for the domain.

bigcompany.com does your DNS. Do any changes you need to do for DNS at bigcompany.com.

I'd suggest finding out what the actual hostname (mail.gohosting.com, whatever) of the email servers for the domain are from the hosting company, and using them. The fake hostname (mx.johndoe.com) doesn't matter.

You'll probably be able to find the real hostname by doing this:

dig mx.johndoe.com @ns1.gohosting.com
(you'll get an IP address)

dig -x $that-ip-address
(which will return the reverse dns address of of their mailservers.. if they're anywhere near competent, it will match forward, you can check by dig'ing the hostname returned)

Last edited:
Back