Must-Have Tool For Modding?

Cbeck527

n00b
I got a $50 amazon gift card, and was looking at stuff to buy. I plan on doing some case mods in the future, and was wondering if there is a tool that you modders recommend.

A bit of research pointed me towards a dremel. Will this be enough for me to cut holes in aluminum cases and such?

Thanks for the help,
Cbeck

EDIT: This is a set I was looking at.
http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-300-N-...f=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1222827208&sr=1-10

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
dremels are great modders tools... i love mine, i got the flexable extender with mine and it makes small cuts easier...

Dremel.
Drill.
Basic Tap and die set (6-32 and 8-32's are a must! 4-40 is helpful too).
Jigsaw.
Adjustable hole saw.

The rest is just icing on the cake.

and more bits for the dremel, those wheels disintegrate faster than my ability to think of a funny analogy right now. sigh.

seriously cutting wheels FTW, i like the fiber reinforced ones that are a little larger

76mm and 112mm hole saws (make sure they are for metal) are useful too for making holes for 80mm and 120mm fans :)

The item I use most is a soldering iron for wiring. Donno if it's me, but I use it a LOT. Second most used would be my dremel.

1. Dremel
2. Drill with Hole saw attachments.
3. Soldering Iron
4. Volt Meter
5. Heatgun =D

1. Dremel
2. Drill with Hole saw attachments.
3. Soldering Iron
4. Volt Meter
5. Heatgun =D

QFT!!!

Heatguns are stupid handy to have around when you are shrinking up your wiring. Let me tell you, they are much easier than the Mary Kate Olson hair dryer that I've had to use before.

Any suggestions for a cheap heatgun? Been using the lighter for all my shrinking :D

I use an old hair dryer, works pretty well, but you can get a cheap heatgun for under $20

QFT!!!

Heatguns are stupid handy to have around when you are shrinking up your wiring. Let me tell you, they are much easier than the Mary Kate Olson hair dryer that I've had to use before.

ROFLLLLLLLLL!! dude I gotta see a pic of that.. rofl.. :D

Any suggestions for a cheap heatgun? Been using the lighter for all my shrinking :D
I bought the one from harbor freight.. 10 bucks.. with tax.. works so much better then that lighter we alll KNOW WE USED at one point.. lol..

91616we2.gif

Back