Multiple WAN - Load Sharing

smartcard

n00b
We have a Linksys RV016, About 4 DSL ISP lines coming it (1MB line x 4).

This device is working but I think it is doing more on the fail over stuff than load sharing.

I need to know if there are any other reasonably prices devices or software that can do a real load sharing.

When say load sharing - I want all 4 ISP bandwidth to be combined together (4MB) to get a better speed to the users. I think the RV016 is doing it in round-robin method.

Its called bonding and your isp would need to support it. I dont think its possible without your isp making some changes on their end.

Just to clarify, we are talking MB's here? Or Mb's? I wasn't aware DSL came in a 1MB/s speed, that's 8Mb/s.

Load sharing isn't the same as bonding. Load sharing means - one connection request is made and the router decides what WAN port it goes out. Another is made and the router picks the next WAN port.

Great for busy offices with a hundred clients.

Short easy answer came from Renesis. Fairly sure Speakeasy is just about the only player doing bonded stuff these days.

Short easy answer came from Renesis. Fairly sure Speakeasy is just about the only player doing bonded stuff these days.
Not true, any provider that offers mlppp services offers bonding(which is like everyone and their mother).

smartcard,
You can't "bond" DSL/cable/fiber/etc.... What the RV0 is doing is round robin load sharing/balancing on a per-flow basis. This is pretty much the only way to do WAN load balancing(PBR is another, but same theory applies) for anything that doesn't support mlppp.

With that said, you can do per-packet load sharing as well with higher end deices, but you're going to have so much asymmetric traffic that you're going to get tcp resets all over the place, not to mention ISPs killing traffic flows that they didn't have a session for already(IE. originated at ISP A, packet 2 is going to ISP B circuit)

Not true, any provider that offers mlppp services offers bonding(which is like everyone and their mother).

smartcard,
You can't "bond" DSL/cable/fiber/etc.... What the RV0 is doing is round robin load sharing/balancing on a per-flow basis. This is pretty much the only way to do WAN load balancing(PBR is another, but same theory applies) for anything that doesn't support mlppp.

With that said, you can do per-packet load sharing as well with higher end deices, but you're going to have so much asymmetric traffic that you're going to get tcp resets all over the place, not to mention ISPs killing traffic flows that they didn't have a session for already(IE. originated at ISP A, packet 2 is going to ISP B circuit)

QFT

Back