Multiple Site to Site VPN question

Shambler

Supreme [H]ardness
Just trying to wrap my head around how traffic is routed in a config like below

Remote Site A --- VPN-A ------- Parent Company ------- VPN-B ------ Remote Site B

If I am at the Parent Company, and I ping a machine in Remote Site A, what makes that ping request use the correct VPN tunnel?

Is there a setting somewhere that pushes A traffic to A VPN?

By definition, remote networks are on different subnets. The VPN Endpoint/Router knows what subnet is at the end of each VPN tunnel and routes accoutingly.

Rough example.
Remote Site A (192.168.100.1) -----> Corp HQ (10.0.0.X) <------ Remote Site B (172.16.1.X)

Perfecto. So, let's get more complicated. (At least in my head)

Site A and B are child domains of the Parent Company. (Domain A and B respectively)

A/The DNS Server within the Parent Company would need forwarders to the DNS Servers of both Domain A and Domain B in order for me to ping machines by name. Right?

When you define "Sites" in AD, you also define the subnet that belongs to them. That's how AD knows immediately where they fit in.

When you define "Sites" in AD, you also define the subnet that belongs to them. That's how AD knows immediately where they fit in.

Good call. Haven't thought about that.

How should they be setup in a perfect world? Should ADSS for the Parent Company have a Site/Subnet setup for Child Domain A and B?

Should Domain A and B have a Site/Subnet setup for the Parent Company? And maybe each other?

Ideally, you'll have at least 1 DC in each site. The structure will replicate across the entire forrest. It's time for you to do some reading :p

By definition, remote networks are on different subnets. The VPN Endpoint/Router knows what subnet is at the end of each VPN tunnel and routes accoutingly.

Rough example.
Remote Site A (192.168.100.1) -----> Corp HQ (10.0.0.X) <------ Remote Site B (172.16.1.X)

It actually doesn't need to be that diverse.
You can do 192.168.2.x > 192.168.3.x < 192.168.4.x

It all depends on the size of the network overall and how many IP's you'll need.

Back