Multiple Networks Kills Internet

Oldie

Mean Old Administrator
Hey, I've got a PC connecting to the net via wireless, and then connecting to a wired router to attach some local network devices. They're assigning different IP ranges so no problem there, but whenever I plug in the wired, it kills the net connection.

I've tried setting different device priorities on the adapters but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I'm positive I'm not the first one w/this issue, anyone know how to fix it?

Last edited:
Could you configure it so that it's not assigning any gateway address to your wired adapter? You don't need a gateway address to access network storage, and that would prevent it from trying to use that connection for internet. Maybe assign it a static IP in the same subnet but outside of the DHCP address pool.

Plug in both adapters and look at your routing table by doing:

netstat -nr

Observe the gateway the default route of 0.0.0.0 is pointing to.

Delete the erroneous default route that is getting inserted when you plug the wired adapter in by doing "route delete...". Then add a new 0.0.0.0 route via the wireless gateway IP making sure you use the -p option so it persists across reboots.

I've got a PC connecting to the net via wireless, and then connecting to a wired router to attach some local network devices
are you trying to route the traffic on the wired router thru your PC to the internet over the wireless connection? or you are just trying to connect to two networks at once; one wireless for the internet and one wired to use the devices?

its probably either an address conflict or the computer is incorrectly picking the wired connection as the gateway. you did use the term "wired router"; is it really a router, or is it a switch? you shouldnt be using a router if you are only using the local network. you can use the switch portion of a router, but do not try to go thru the WAN port.

Back