multiple networks 1 esxi

Rody

Limp Gawd
Hi guys/gals

My internet connection provides me with 8 IP addresses and I would like to have 2 separate networks. 1 for family use, dont ever mess with it and stuff and my play network that I can totally destroy without messing with the primary network.

Is there a way to have lan1 supply multiple ips? for my use it would just be 2 instances of pfsense both with their own public ip address.

I'm sure there is an option to do this, but google-foo has failed me in this case.

thanks
randy

Do you want just multiple IPs or does your switch support VLAN tagging?

Do you want just multiple IPs or does your switch

I would like the switch in esxi to Handle it. It would be easy to just put a cheep switch after the cable modem and a second nic in the server box, but I think there is a way to make one of the esxi switches do it with the right options set.

How many interfaces are in your esxi server?

2 NIC'S but i have room I could add a couple more. I was trying to do it from with in esxi, but if that is not possible i can add a NIC and go that route.

I did end up figuring this out, and it is not best practice but it is what I needed for my home lab. Just attach a switch to the wan port and then you can attach VM networks to that switch, with my ISP i can get 8 public IPs that way. The whole thing was simple when I started over from scratch and rebuild my home lab, In my old esxi box I had configuration that would no let me do this.

Back