Multi computer setup at 2560x1440

btx926

n00b
So, I have a unique situation, and I haven't found a solution to it. I'm curious if anyone here might have ideas I haven't been thinking of.

Currently, I have a 1600x1080 display. I have it sitting on a KVM.

I use the following boxes with it:
1-2) Mac Minis (Display Port to DVI)
3) Gaming PC (DVI)
4) Laptop (HDMI to DVI) [this won't drive a high resolution as it doesn't have a DP port]

All these devices go into the KVM.

I had the opportunity to test out a 2560x1600 monitor off the KVM directly into my game box over the holiday. I was pleased enough with my box's performance (Radeon 7970) that it makes me want to upgrade. In particular, I'd probably go with the QNix everyone seems to love.

For me, I think the benefit of this is greater for my Macs (I'm an engineer who works mostly on a Mac, so that resolution is a big plus) than for my PC (honestly, my currently monitor is fine for gaming). Problem is: KVMs that support this setup are rare and expensive. Likewise, even if I find a suitable KVM that does dual link, I still have the added expenses of needing multiple active DP to DVI cables. I've considered always remoting into the Macs (and keeping my old monitor hooked up) from the PC and just ditching the KVM all together -- that comes with a performance penalty, even over my LAN -- for general use, the Macs are nicer anyway because I don't have to boot up my big, loud dev box.

I've also thought about buying a more feature rich monitor with multiple inputs and keeping the KVM to drive the mouse and keyboard only -- while using the monitors multiple inputs. Unless there is a way to keyboard drive the monitor, though, that is going to drive me nuts. (not to mention, the KVM already causes weird issues -- like I can't use my G500S mouse with it).

So -- any other thoughts or should I just give up this adventure (or suck it up and write a huge check for a really high end KVM and active DP to DVI cables)?

Other options: I don't think 1080p is enough of an improvement to even bother with. I have considered 19x12, but those monitors are few and far between (I've yet to see a real good recommendation for a fps-capable monitor at this size).

Thanks for any advice!

Back