• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

MSI or Diamond 5850?

The Jackyl

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 16, 2008
Messages
214
Yeah I know MSI is definitely a better trusted brand and has a longer warranty. However let's throw a couple other factors in here and what would your choice be?

MSI 5850 for $305.30 shipped have to wait till at the earliest Monday to get it... or Diamond $306.60 including tax but get to pick up in about 12 hours.

Also with the Diamond I'd be returning my Nvidia 250 GTS to knock $109.50 off out of pocket costs. Still would get the refund with the MSI but would have to wait 3 to 5 business days for it to post to my bank account.

I'm assuming here that you can flash the Diamond BIOS with the MSI BIOS for overclocking purposes.
 
With the money you save pickup an xfx 5870 in store. I've seen them in stock at my frys.
 
I can try calling my Fry's again but I've checked once today and nothing but Diamond 5850s and 5870s at the Fry's in Renton, WA
 
I'm out here in Sacramento. I was there two days ago when I saw it on the shelf.
 
Yep, just called my local Fry's, no XFX cards in either 5850 or 5870. If they had those there this would be definitely a no-brainer
 
I picked up my xfx 5870 @ frys (OC, calif) was better route than waiting game...lol :D
 
Yeah :(
That's why'd I'd go for getting a Diamond 5850 or 5870 at Fry's, so I don't have to wait.

Also as I've said before I could always return the Diamond one when there are more XFX available at my store. That'd be a little underhanded though.
 
I'm running a Diamond HD5850 which is very fast.

Benchmarking at 1075/1300.

I uploaded the BIOS over at TPU yesterday.

Diamond is good but it is kind of pricey compared to the rest. Not sure if they ram on the diamond or build is superior to any other. They all look the same.
 
damn sweet deal indeed

Well I decided to go ahead with the MSI 5850, nice that I won't have to do any extra BIOS flashing to OC it
 
damn sweet deal indeed

Well I decided to go ahead with the MSI 5850, nice that I won't have to do any extra BIOS flashing to OC it


I didn't have to flash the BIOS on the Diamond HD5850 to over clock it.
I don't think you have to flash the BIOS on the HD5850 to over clock.
 
I just ordered my Diamond 5850 off of TigerDirect, which seems to still have some in stock, priced at $289.99 though :/. No tax or shipping costs, luckily. I couldn't resist , my 8800gtx finally made its way out of my case for a good $80 in my pocket, and I couldn't pass up selling it, it served me well for what it was!

Anyways, I'm having trouble finding any info on overclocking this particular version of it (Diamond) except from SonDa5 on this thread. To Son or anyone else, what kind of overclocks/voltages are you getting out of these cards? How about at stock Voltage? I can't wait to get my hands on it.. it's a HUGE upgrade for me.
 
Back
Top