MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum MB North Bridge Fan Speed?

MrChris

Weaksauce
Hey guys,

My Motherboard, MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum's North Bridge Fan has started making a noise, has been for a while now. I posted before and someone suggested replacing the fan, so I contacted MSI who sent me a replacement but in order to replace the fan I would need to remove my motherboard which is way too much hassle!

Anyhoo;

I noticed that the fan only starts making its noise when it is doing more than 8000rpm (using core centre I noticed this).

I’m just wondering what the average speed of this fan should be, does it go faster/slower according to how hot the chip is? And is there a way to turn the RPM down to 7000 or so safely without running the risk of something melting?

Kind Regards,

Chris. ;)

I have a MSI Neo2 Platinum board that had the same problem. I know its not exactly the same, but I would bet that it won't matter.

I used SpeedFan to control the fan speed, I dialed it down to 80% and that quieted that little buzzsaw down a lot. To the best of my knowledge, that fan is not automatically controlled by the bios. Never had any trouble with temperatures at that speed either.
Of course I have since replaced the whole thing with a fanless Zalman northbridge cooler so now its dead silent :).

Cool, i shall give that program a try thanks :)

How much is this cooler? and how easy is it to take the fan off the motherboard?

Thanks again,

Chris. :)

man... it seriously only takes 2 mins to take out your fan and add a bit of 3 in 1 oil to get it back to silent fast operation.

I am using the Zalman ZM-NB47 which I purchased from NewEgg. About $10 when you add in shipping costs I guess. Taking the fan/heatsink assembly off the motherboard is pretty easy, the harder part is taking your board out of your case, which you most undoubtedly will have to do to install the sink. Kit comes with mounting stuff, compound, the usual stuff. Works great, but if you go the fanless route:

1) Make sure you have clearance for it as it is much taller that the stock hsf unit. I have the heatsink installed on my Neo2 Platinum with a ATi X850XT card in there with some rom to spare, but if you have any huge aftermarket cooling on your vid card or long pci/pcix cards, you may want to think a bit on it :).

2) You do need to have decent airflow through your case of course for the thing to work right. Though if you're on these forums, that probably isnt a problem :D. My northbridge temps went up 1-2C with the passive cooler, but still stable and safe. Personally I will take the silence over the slight increase anyday.

Humm, Space above the fan may be a problem.

Here is an image I took when building the system, I have painted over where things are now so you can kinda get an idea of the position of my NB fan, and it’s basically under the graphics card and is kinda hard to get to. The cables & wires you see are all clear now btw, as i said this image was taken while i was building the machine :)

NBFanImage.jpg

The replacement fan MSI sent is pretty much the same kinda fan, but I cannot figure out how to get the original fan off in order to replace it without taking the motherboard out because the fan seems to be attached via clips that push through holes on the MB and so need to be pushed "inward" in order to be released back through the holes.

I dunno I may be talking crazy; all I know is that this noise is sending me insane! lol

Regards,

Chris. :confused:

man you've wasted all this time and energy bitching about how lazy you are. Just take all the cables and add in cards out and pull out your mb. don't even have to take the cpu out if you don't want and pop the fan off. there's just 2 little clips that you press on and it'll pop right off. you wasted msi's time cause they sent you a new one, might as well use it :rolleyes:

If all you want to do is replace the fan assembly, i think you can unscrew that part without unmounting the heatsink. I seem to remember two tiny screws that u can get to in there somewhere. I think u can see one in your pic. If you remove those, I think the fan part of the assembly will come right off and u can replace it with the new fan. Might be an option, take a look at the new assembly and see if it comes apart like that, might save you some trouble.

Double Jesus said:
man you've wasted all this time and energy bitching about how lazy you are. Just take all the cables and add in cards out and pull out your mb. don't even have to take the cpu out if you don't want and pop the fan off. there's just 2 little clips that you press on and it'll pop right off. you wasted msi's time cause they sent you a new one, might as well use it :rolleyes:

Dude! Harsh,

I was only asking for other solutions etc..

"If all you want to do is replace the fan assembly, i think you can unscrew that part without unmounting the heatsink. I seem to remember two tiny screws that u can get to in there somewhere. I think u can see one in your pic. If you remove those, I think the fan part of the assembly will come right off and u can replace it with the new fan. Might be an option, take a look at the new assembly and see if it comes apart like that, might save you some trouble."

I tried this and it will work, allthough the screws holding the one thats making a noise are really tight and i need to buy a better screwdriver lol.

Thanks again,

Chris.

I have the same problem, I emailed MSI about it asking for a new fan. Did your new fan sound better? I built a machine for my sisters b/f and everything is functioning a-ok except for the bandsaw on the motherboard.

Can the southbridge be cooled inactively or does it need the fan?

Resurrecting an old thread here, but I was wondering... Does that NB fan have a standard 3 pin connector? Could I just hook it up to my fan controller and control it through there? Voila?

Back