MSDN Windows 7 Key

Ender1183

Gawd
I was just added to my works MSDN subscription and I wanted to start testing 7 but was unable to find the key to use for testing. I do see the kms and mak keys but don't see the msdn testing key. I did read that I could request one but i don't see a link or an icon.

I haven't used MSDN itself in many many years but I do hit Technet from time to time, so I can't speak directly for how the MSDN site works. A MAK key would probably be what you're looking for - Multiple-Activation Key, versus the KMS one which requires a Key Management Server on your LAN someplace (hence the acronym KMS). I've never seen a "testing key" for Microsoft products, at least not one that is specifically identified as such - they're all basically the same keys in the long run.

The MAKs are good for upwards of 5000 activations per individual key so, my suggestion is - if you have access to one, of course - install the OS you want, and then when it's set up perfectly or close to it, to the point where you're just about to do the actual testing or whatever, do the activation at the point and then make a system image of the whole installation right then and there and stash that image in a safe location, wherever that might be.

That way you'll have an image ready for testing, activated, and can start over anytime you want with a fresh clean brand spankin' new installation in a few minutes time which is way more efficient than reinstalling the OS each and every time and then knocking off another activation from the MAK's complement.

I don't have access to MSDN anymore but back when I did there was a whole list of keys for different products. Afaict from MSDNs POV the retail versions (which use retail keys) and the voumen license versions (which use MAK and kms) are seperate products so you may have been looking under the wrong section.

As for the activation limits on MAK keys afaict the ones you get from MSDN are good for 10 activations. Ones got from a large volume license agreement may be good for much higher. Either way it's good to keep the number of activations you make on your keys to a minimum to avoid having to call support and persuade them to extend things. If you are just doing a temp install for a quick test then don't bother to activate it at all.

You may also want to enquire at your work to see if they already have a kms set up to activate volume license versions of windows against since activating against a kms doesn't decrement any counts at MS (however be aware that activating against a kms is only temporary so you should only use this method for machines that will live on the company network)

KMS - You setup a KMS host so computers on your network can activate. Those computers, once activated need to connect to that KMS server every 180 days to re-activate.
MAK - I believe this is tracked and as you activate you will see the MAK count change on the Licensing site (from what I can tell).
MSDN - Kind of like MAK except you don't see the total amount of activations, you are limited to 10 activations per key, and you are alloted a certain amount of keys that you can claim before you have to request more from MS.

As far as where to get them, if you are on MSDN.com and you are in the subscriber downloads section, you will see a link under the Keys column to access your keys or request a new key. I see 1/20 under my subscription so I can request 20 keys before having to submit a request to MSDN support for more keys. The key type is labeled Retail.

First of all there is no such thing called "MSDN Testing Key". MSDN / Technet Account itself is for evaluation purpose only. If you have MSDN / Technet account you will be able to generate 5 to 10 keys for every single products. If you can see KMS and MAK key then you must be under Volume License Agreement, previously called (eOpen VLSC).

Cheers

Back