MPAA Blahs

Leggir

n00b
I live in Canada, and as much as i'm aware the MPAA (or associated one in Canada) hasn't been prosecuting people yet for downloading movies, tv shows, etc.
However I received an email from my ISP warning that "Someone" Notice Of Copyright Complaint that I downloaded two Episodes of "Enterprise" from the Edonkey network. It included all the usual information (MAC, IP, DNS, etc) that incriminates you.

Now as much as I know, it's not illegal to watch a program aired, or rent it from Blockbuster, yet somehow because I downloaded it that makes it illegal (ignoring the facts that I could have used my all-in-wonder to rip it from the airwaves or used a nameless dvd copying program to copy it). Its very simple, I don't have a TV (other than and All-in-wonder + rabbit ears, no cable TV hookup in our apartment building), DVD Player/Burner on this PC. All I want is to download them, and watch them, then delete them.

This marks the 2nd time they've bugged me about downloading TV-Episodes (which is all I download) and I'm starting to get annoyed by it, viewing without duplication should never be viewed as copy-right infringement. :mad:

but you have a duplicate from someone else, so it has been duplicated. downloading any copyrighted material with or without the intent to distribute, unless said download is published as freeware, is illegal. last i checked, cable was paid for, so therefore, programs on the cable network are paid for, sorry

It's the fact you do not have permission to distribute it. Only the TV networks do.

Yeap, you pay for it by paying the cable co. Now for things broadcast over the airwaves that you can get for free, they pay for it through advertisements, which I suspect may be edited out of the ones you download from the net.

Back