• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

MP3Gain alternative?

AVT

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Aug 8, 2008
Messages
4,875
So, I've been using MP3Gain to fix the volumes of some albums with awkward volumes. Worked perfectly, with very minimal quality differences up until now.

I'm now trying to increase the volume of an album with a very broad range of volumes on songs, between 82db and 101db (my normal album volume is 99db). I have no idea why this is the case - it shouldn't be.

Anyway, adding gain to the two quietest songs significantly degrades audio quality - makes them sound like they're played on a bad cassette (lots of random buzzes and other noises that sound something along the lines of "BVVT").

Is there another program that can normalize the volume in a better fashion?
 
I was under the impression that mp3gain only changed a playback volume scalar in the file. It's a lossless operation, so I don't see how that could add a lot of noise to the file. It could only make existing noise more obvious.

You probably wouldn't like me. I use mp3gain only eliminate clipping (max no clip album gain) and I don't save undo tags either.
 
I was under the impression that mp3gain only changed a playback volume scalar in the file. It's a lossless operation, so I don't see how that could add a lot of noise to the file. It could only make existing noise more obvious.

You probably wouldn't like me. I use mp3gain only eliminate clipping (max no clip album gain) and I don't save undo tags either.

No, the sounds aren't there if I turn up the volume in Windows. Only if I use MP3Gain. :confused:
 
Back
Top