Moving to x64 - Vista (or XP)? What Should I know?

RanceJustice

Supreme [H]ardness
Hello all. I am awaiting the arrival of my new Q6600 and 4gb of DDR2. We all know that 32bit OSes can't handle 4gb, so I guess its time for x64. I've been thinking of moving over to Vista Ultimate x64, but what I need to know is about driver support. Its my understanding that actual programs aren't going to be an issue, but drivers can make or break the experience. So here's what I think I'm going to need...

1. Nvidia Drivers - I don't think these will be any problem, right?
2. SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS OR X-Fi - I have a ZS currently and on WinXP, I always need to install the base drivers from CD. Are there any "full version" drivers for Vista 64? I always heard that X-Fi has issues with Vista 64, but what about my old ZS? Or would it be better to get an X-Fi?
3. Intel G33 based motherboard - LAN, chipset etc...- Seems this won't be too much of an issue. Thankfully, Gigabyte is up on their stuff.

Anything else I should know about the move to X64? Thanks!

I don't know about ZS but X-Fi definitely has issues with Vista x64 and 4GB ram. X-Fi works only with a hacked driver. Better check with Creative forums to make sure there is no problem and a solution if there is any.

Just my 2 cents.

My ZS is fine on Vista. Only gripe is no "Stereo Surround," only "CMSS."

Ugh. Really? That's too bad. I noticed Creative has some ALchemy for Audigy ZS series, but they want you to pay for it! Would this fix the issue, or not so much? Are the Beta drivers for ZS (or X-Fi) pretty stable and more usable perchance? I may just go straight there..

I've noticed perfectly acceptable 5.1 sound in the games I've played. No need for alchemy here.

As for CMSS, it's not as bad with these drivers as it was under XP. It leaves the front left and right channels alone, and the other channels sound only slightly weird. It's extremely hard to notice unless you play something with CMSS on and mute your front left and right speakers.

I'm using an Audigy 2 ZS with Vista x64 and 4 GB of memory, without any issues. I'm getting 5.1 surround in games as well, and my music sounds the same as it did in XP.

I'm using an Audigy 2 ZS with Vista x64 and 4 GB of memory, without any issues. I'm getting 5.1 surround in games as well, and my music sounds the same as it did in XP.

Great - Are you using the release drivers? Beta drivers? Is Stereo Surround an option? How about that ALchemy software?

I've noticed perfectly acceptable 5.1 sound in the games I've played. No need for alchemy here.

As for CMSS, it's not as bad with these drivers as it was under XP. It leaves the front left and right channels alone, and the other channels sound only slightly weird. It's extremely hard to notice unless you play something with CMSS on and mute your front left and right speakers.

Ahhh good to know. I'd like to enable stereo surround, but...I suppose its not a huge loss. Thanks again!

Great - Are you using the release drivers? Beta drivers? Is Stereo Surround an option? How about that ALchemy software?
I'm using the drivers available at SoundBlaster.com, and no extra Alchemy software. I don't really know if Stereo Sound is an option or not. I haven't had much of a reason to dig into any settings, because everything sounds fine to me.

Back