Mouse hell

rudy

[H]F Junkie
System:
Windows 7 x64
16 GB ram on a sandy bridge based system with p67 motherboard.
Logitech g500 mouse (problem also occurs with a G400) so far no mouse works. Yet these mice work on other machines.
I am having a major problem with my mouse, all mice, which all happen to be Logitech do this on my computer.
First when windows starts at the login screen I cannot click anything. Hovering over things seems to have no effect. If I click on something it starts to depress but never finishes the click. Do you understand that, its sort of like when you press a button in windows and it depresses but you do not let up on the mouse to finish the action. Instead you slide off the button.
So I use the keyboard to navigate which works fine. Nothing appears to be frozen.
When entering windows behavior can seem a little erratic but something are very consistent. For instance scrolling with the mouse wheel does not work at all in internet explorer. Yet oddly it does work when looking around the settings in internet explorer, yet the mouse scrolls fine in MS word. I cannot click on anything in the Logitech gaming software at all. Every so often I seem to not be able to click on anything in my second monitor. I think that the mouse wheel does not work in one direction in tribes ascend.
I have tried:
Updating the Logitech software to the latest software listed on the G500 website
Windows restore to 2 different points
Clearing CMOS
Moving the mouse to different USB ports in different locations (ie probably not the same controller)

My son's rig has almost the same exact symptoms. We haven't found a solution yet, except that alt-tab seems to work for him at times. What motherboard do you have? He has an Asus z68 board...

My Maximus Gene V will still produce strange USB related errors. It's rare now, but I remember having erratic mouse behavior when I bought it and the keyboard will not be detected on some ports after sleep. These problems were common until a couple of BIOS updates.

it is an ASUS motherboard, P67 something LE

I will check for bios updates.

I will have my son check in safe mode when he finally comes home this morning. Did I mention he is really good at being 16...

I tried to update the bios and it did not help, I went into bios and changed 3 different USB settings. Its not really bios though its UEFI so why does asus even call it bios lol.

Anyhow disable usb 3.0 support, disabled legacy support and one other setting none of it fixed the problem.

Running in safe mode appears to fix the problem, at least at the login screen. Is it possible NVidia drivers could cause this?

Its a P8P67-LE motherboard.

I will also say that I recently added a light boost capable monitor is anyone else with a similar problem trying to run lightboost?

Last edited:
Back