Mounting to thick desk?

randomafk

n00b
Joined
Aug 23, 2009
Messages
18
Hi all,

I just got a humansclae m8 arm for my monitor! but two problems:
1. It only came with a bolt-through mount option but I'm not too keen with drilling a hole through my desk
2. My desk is about 4" thick but the clamp says it'll only do ~2" max.

So, are there any DIY options available to make a new clamp?

th
Thanks!
 
Bump, because I have a 27" LCD on the way and would like something more than just a stand. The thinnest point of the desk in my room is probably 5 inches as there is a drawer that goes the entire depth of the desk where you put your legs. All these clamps seem to be made for thin desks with no provision for thicker or older desks.

Anyone have a work-around or know of a thicker clamp that can be used on any model?
 
Thank you. That's the one I was looking at. I'm priced out of it atm, and ordered a 3M stand to tide me over. I'll definitely pick one up soon.
 
I also have an Ergotron, but the one I received as a gift was a Neo-Flex(both clamp and thru desk style mount).

At the time, I had an old Navy metal admin desk, built like a brick s-well you know. Anyway, during renovation of my house, someone set our old slider doors next to it outside, and it was 'recycled' along with the refuse. I now have an old 'school principal' desk from the late '60s...big, thick, maple and mahogany construction. I was also loathe to drill a hole in the desk, but after fiddling with other spacer options...I didn't want to ruin the new refinish job I did on the desk...and bit the bullet.

I'm glad I did, as the mount is far stronger than before with spacers/clamped pieces. She's more of a pain now if I have to move the desk...but how often does that come into play?

I'm also glad I spaced it so that two more can go in next to it and still look good. Only problem now is I used black transparent stain on the desk, and the champagne color of the arm bugs me!

I guess....fiddle with the clamp mounts once in place, and if it's not really sturdy, the consider the drill option, it only hurts for a few seconds I promise! haha

Also, some thicker desks use a visual trick much the same way countertops are made, whereas the thickness of the edge of the desk only goes in so far, and usually halves to the actual thickness of the board used for the desktop. Maybe a depth issue from the edge? Not sure how you'd solve that, I'd have to see the desk.

Good luck tho! I've heard good things about those mounts.
 
Back
Top