Mounting Computer Speakers for 5.1

Joined
Aug 30, 2004
Messages
2,668
I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations on how to mount the speakers. The front 3 will be easy as cake I think. I'm going to go with a Logitech 540 series. The center one I'm hoping can be mounted on top of the LCD with the front left and right sitting on my desk which is an L shape.

The rear 2 I was going to somehow mount to the ceiling. Anyone have some ideas on this? :confused:
 
You could mount them upside down, you will have to put a screw or nail into your roof though, then they just slide onto the nail sortof, its hard to explain. But it would work. :)
 
I don't think surface-mounting is really going to be worth it given that the speakers are relatively low quality. If we were talking about much more expensive speakers, then I'd be the first to recommend wall/ceiling mounting and running in-wall cable.

Shop around Amazon for inexpensive bookshelf stands that you could re-use once you upgrade, or consider making your own. The latter has the advantage of being extremely cost-effective and more appropriate for your specific needs (such as height).
 
I once mounted rear speakers by using ceiling hooks and fishing line. You might want something stronger than fishing line though if the speakers are on the heavy side. Worked fine for me though with Altec Lansing computer speakers using 5lb test line.
 
Back in the day I made some stands for my 2 rear speakers from my Klipsch 4.1's out of PVC pipe. I sprayed em w/ a metal textured spraypaint and they looked pretty good(for a teenager's room at least). The nice part of course is that you can move em around as you see fit and build them to ear level. Mine were probably 3 - 3.5 feet tall.

Just a thought. I imagine a ceiling mount would be cleaner.
 
Hey the fishing line idea sounds brilliant! I'm 99% sure that these Logitech speakers aren't that heavy. The only problem I would see with that is the wiring coming from the speaker :(
 
Something I've always wanted to do was make some custom speaker trays that mount onto your PC chair. You could have it mount to either the arm rests, or underneath the chair depending on what kind of chair you have, with movable arms that support a couple flat trays where you can mount your rear speakers.

It would be something like this, only without the mouse/keyboard tray, and not quite so crappy. :p

speakers.gif


I'd also have the speakers moved a little higher up so that they're ear level, and a little further back to give a better surround sound feeling. This would be a great setup to me, since you wouldn't have to worry about running cables through the walls (just get some velcro ties to keep the wires close to the chair so it's tidy), and there's no speaker stands to knock over.
 
You could get extension cable for the speakers and run the cable along the ceiling and down to the PC. Setting up rear channels properly for a PC is a bit of a PITA and that is why I now just use good quality 2.1 speakers. If I want surround effects then I use my headphones instead.
 
Back
Top