Most important things to look for in a sub $200 unmanaged switch.

ZenDragon

[H]ard|Gawd
Im just curious what you all think are the most important features to look for in a sub $200 workgroup switch for home use. Any specific features you all would absolutely expect in a switch for that price? It will be used for LAN parties and such as well as some high bandwidth intranetwork video streaming. Right now Im looking at a PowerConnect 2324. GigE is not absolutely necessary but I would prefer it. Any other suggestions?

That it works? :D

But seriously...

Stick with a known brand and you'll be alright. Hit up Fleabay and most of the time you can find Cabletron/HP Procurve/Bay Networks higher-end switches for decent prices. GigE is going to be an uplink port @ best in that price range.

If you're looking for unmanaged, you're really looking at number of ports. You can go as low as ~100 and get a 16-port 10/100 switch from linksys.

If you're looking for managed, then things become a lot harder. I found a 8 port gigabit switch with layer 2 management for around $150 on sale. (normal around 200). Of course, it's not from a major brand, but what the hey.

I would surely take a managed switch if I could find one for the same price :) The most important thing here is that it have decent switching capacity and works at wire speed. I know some home switches you can buy these days are cheap and will sure hinder performance. I was just curious if there were any specific features you all think should be included in a switch for that price.

you can most definately find a nice managed switch from 3com or even extreme networks for around $200 on ebay

just search around a lot, there are some incredible deals on ebay every day :)

Yeah, I have to agree with Flecom....

For way under $200, you could have a nice 3Com Managed Switch shipped to you. Lots more cool features to play with and learn. Maybe something like a 24-port SuperStack II 3300. It's only 10/100, but there is an expansion slot which you may be able to get a gigabit module for. Dont know if they make those modules or not, but it is definately a nice switch!

im pretty sure the 3300 can have like 2 or even 3 gige uplinks in the back with those slots...

richard where are you? ;) :p

Heck, take a look at the 3Com 3900... if you are lucky you might be able to pick one up for around $200. It should be more than what you need... you have space for 3 gigabit modues (one included) and you have 36 10/100 ports.

Back