Monitor won't turn off when computer is off

Mohonri

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
5,775
I have a HP P1110 21" CRT, purchased for $80 at a university surplus sale. It works mostly wonderfully. I have run into one small problem:

When the monitor is hooked up to my motherboard's onboard graphics (S3 somethingorother), it turns off when the computer tells it to turn off (screensaver/power settings). However, with my GeForce 6200, and the Ti4200 it replaced, the monitor will not turn off--it just shows a (sort-of) black screen, but does not go into standby (screen fully off, power light blinking occasionally). If the computer is turned off (with all video cards), the monitor turns off as it should.

My initial thought was that there might be some sort of sync issue, but I really don't know. Can somebody help me out here?
 
i just recently had an HPd2837 die on me, its controls at one point, would just not respond, unplugging it and plugging it back in worked everytime :)

17" monitor that did 1600x1200... i want a new one lol
 
What drivers are you using with your vid card i had some beta Nvidia ones that wouldnt allow me to turn my monitor off but havent had any problems with the new ones.
 
ne1wantaride said:
Check the driver's for your finger. ;)
Heh. Yeah, I'm lazy that way. I'm using the latest drivers from nVidia, downloaded....two days ago from their site. I should mention that this problem only happened for this particular monitor on my two nVidia cards. A different monitor behaved properly with the nVidia cards, and this big monitor worked with my non-nVidia GPU, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Edit: found a driver specifically for this monitor...we'll see if it makes a difference.

 
Grrr. The driver didn't make any difference whatsoever.

EDIT: Found a manual (PDF warning) over here. It looks like the monitor has two modes (see 15th page of the PDF, which is labeled page 13): Suspend mode 1 (which is a black screen with the tube still active--this is what I've been getting), and Active Off mode 2, which is when the tube shuts down and the power LED blinks. The monitor goes into Suspend mode 1 when vsync is cut, and goes into Active off mode 2 when both vsync and hsync are cut. So it seems my memory about some sync issues was correct. And it appears that nVidia is at fault, since this works with other cards. Off to the video card forum I go...

 
Back
Top