Monitor of choice?

kingduqc

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 22, 2011
Messages
180
So....

Here's the story, no need to read but w/e

I'm looking to upgrade my old monitor, and I'm really not sure witch one I really want. So I'm here to ask your advice.. I've been looking at this forum and so many monitor that my head started spinning.

I was looking at a 24inch monitor, something 1920*1200 with a High image quality... Budget was around 500ish, the dell U2010 or the asus PA246Q...But then linustechtips made a video about PLS monitor from samgsung (SA27850d) he was excited, there was also a 24 inch one. But then the 27 was only 300$ so at the end of the line I tought a 27inch would be preaty nice and all and it's not That much more expensive.. plus it's for a long therm, I won't upgrade for years..


So here I am, looking at:

-Great image quality (IPS,PLS)
-High resolution (above 1080p, let's say 2560*1440)
-27 or 30 inch
-800-900$ max Budget in Canadian tax not included.
-Don't really care about anti glare, as long as the coating do not make white look grey (some dell have aggressive AG)
-For web browsing (reading), Movies, Gaming, Might do some really light photo editing and video editing (nothing to serious)

The models I was looking at are:
Samsung SA27850D, the backlight bleeding kinda turn me off on it.
Dell U2711, The AG coating kinda turn me off.
HP ZR2740w

I was wondering if we will see monitor releasing in early 2012 at CES?

Need help on this, also... If there's any model that might release in early 2012 I can wait a bit. Need expertise on this guys, any recommendation will be looked at.
 
Just get the 850D, and exchange it if the bleed is too bad. It's really the best (only) option right now.
 
I agree with the 850D, just picked up one myself this week.
back light isn't that bad on mine.
0kDFel.jpg
 
Waiting for CES isn't a good idea? you guys don't know if any big competitor have something up their sleeves?
 
Haven't heard anything myself about CES, but with it only being week and a half away it wouldn't hurt waiting to see.
 
how is Samsung's exchange policy for monitors? Or do you go through the dealer?

I know Dell and HP both have great customer service....if you buy it new and direct from them, they will exchange it for another brand new one, no questions asked. And if that one is bad too, they will exchange for another one, until you're satisfied....they will even pay for return shipping too!

I know you said AG can be a problem....but if you aren't doing "heavy" white background work, then you should be fine....
 
how is Samsung's exchange policy for monitors? Or do you go through the dealer?

I know Dell and HP both have great customer service....if you buy it new and direct from them, they will exchange it for another brand new one, no questions asked. And if that one is bad too, they will exchange for another one, until you're satisfied....they will even pay for return shipping too!

I know you said AG can be a problem....but if you aren't doing "heavy" white background work, then you should be fine....

I don't want to be "fine" I want to be satisfied. that's a bit why i brows to learn what would be great for me... Never really looked into stores cause they don't really have those kind of monitor where I am (small town)

The thing is that I won't change it for years to come... until something bad happen or that resolution become standart (people still see 1080p as a high resolution, hack most play at sub-HD and don't even care.
 
I don't want to be "fine" I want to be satisfied. that's a bit why i brows to learn what would be great for me... Never really looked into stores cause they don't really have those kind of monitor where I am (small town)

The thing is that I won't change it for years to come... until something bad happen or that resolution become standart (people still see 1080p as a high resolution, hack most play at sub-HD and don't even care.

hmm...well I guess a U2711 will be out of the picture....I personally have not seen a 2711 in person...but I have owned two U3011s before...and people who have used both U3011 and U2711 say the AG is worse on the U2711....and I guess its because of the smaller pixel pitch on the 2711 being more noticeable...I was angry with the AG when I first got my U3011, but it grew on me...then again, I'm doing mostly gaming and not much office work
 
LG's AG coating is awful and completely unnecessary on any monitor of any size. Their coating is the worst thing to happen to the display industry since the death of CRT's. There must be a reason why none of the other manufacturer's use the same coating (unless they use an LG panel).

850D all the way.

uc3011.jpg
 
Back
Top