• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Monitor is way too bright.

ubern00b15

Gawd
Joined
Oct 18, 2003
Messages
811
I have 2 Dell P1110's, and are both connected to the same computer. The problem that I have is that on the right display, it is 2 or 3 times as bright. I have the brightness set at zero, and it's still way to bright. if I set the contrast low enough so that it's as bright as the monitor on the left, the contrast screws up the colors and it looks off from the other display. I was hoping that there was some sort of utility or some way that I could lower the brightness. I know that these monitors sometimes have issues with brightness and this may be the case, but I was hoping that I wouldn't have to open it up and do any soldering. I really like these monitors and I appreciate the space they bring. Right now, I have only one display on and it's like I'm back to using a 17 incher. It's too little and I'm too poor to buy an LCD. :mad:

Again, I was hoping that there was some sort of utility I could use to change the brightness. I tried the ATI driver thing because I have a 9800 pro, but it didn't really help at all.

Thanks!
 
If you can't turn down the brightness enough through your monitor's control panel then you likely have the brightness issue. Supposedly a certain number of Sony P1110's manufactured in 1999/2000 were affected. I'd research the topic another day or so before opening your monitor up though, just in case there isn't some other issue afoot.

Brighness fix

The mod looks fairly simple and inexpensive, maybe a 5/10 on the difficulty scale? I say go for it...

Disclaimer: Careful of what you touch under there and follow any instructions very closely, that's because there's lots of deadly voltage stored in a crt's internals (no joke)
 
SJetski71 said:
Disclaimer: Careful of what you touch under there and follow any instructions very closely, that's because there's lots of deadly voltage stored in a crt's internals (no joke)
But it's the current that kills ya. 'Tis no lie, though. There are tens of thousands of volts in a CRT.
 
ubern00b15 said:
II was hoping that I wouldn't have to open it up and do any soldering. Thanks!
Fer God's sake, don't open a CRT unless you understand YOU CAN DIE.
EVEN IF UN-PLUGGED FROM WALL IT STILL HAS ~20,000 VOLTS WITH LETHAL CURRENT STORED IN IT.
TOUCH THE WRONG PLACE-----AND YOU ARE DEAD.
Sorry I hollered, but better I should scream at you while you're still alive.
 
Back
Top