Monitor Fiber Connection between Buildings

VeeDubbs

Limp Gawd
Hi all -

I'm looking for a way to monitor my fiber links between buildings. A week or so ago I set up Cacti to do just this, but I'm having trouble believing the results I'm getting from Cacti.

We are a college campus and I want to monitor the bandwidth that gets on the fiber. In the picture you will see Denhart_Main (a residence hall that has ~300 students in it) and Hederbg_Main (the core of our network). I've setup Cacti to monitor the fiber ports in each of these switches that goes between Hedberg and Denhart:

traffic.JPG

You'll see in the pic that the maximum only gets up to 10M. As I said before, I am having a difficult time believing that -- I would expect to be seeing well over 100M....

Am I using Cacti for the right purposes? How are other people monitoring their fiber links?

Last edited:
Notice that your graph is in bytes, not bits, so depending on the how you have everything setup that could be correct.

10 megabytes = 100 megabits

also note that for interface bytes in/out graphs in cacti I believe what is displayed are based off of 5 minute averages, so very quick spikes get averaged out of your graphs. you can play with that value though.

i have no idea about cacti but i know with our prtg graphs, the y axis changes based on performance. so if it jumps to 25 megabits the graph changes...

Back