Monitor Buzz - Samsung 305T+

Machupo

Gravity Tester
2FA
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
6,235
So, I've got an older (out of warranty) Samsung 305T+ monitor. Works great, and I love 2560x1600 on a single monitor :)

I recently replaced a couple components (PSU with a Seasonic X-750 and HSF with an AXP-140 with a Xigmatek XAF-F1451 fan) that are completely silent (unless I am 3-4" away from the fan) in my test bench (open air) case. Suddenly, I find that my monitor makes a buzzing noise at all brightness levels (it changes slightly in pitch but doesn't go away). It's only partially annoying now because I have a keyboard with Cherry Blue switches, but I will be switching out for Clears (much less noise) in the next couple weeks, so I expect the annoyance factor to go up.

Has anyone had a similar issue and developed a fix? I'm not looking to ship it back to Samsung for a $200 fee only to possibly get a noiseless unit. Can I disassemble the unit and put a noise-suppression spray on the offending component? It comes from the center/back of the unit, and from what I've read online this sounds like the internal PSU.

Any help, advice, or commiseration would be much appreciated :)
 
i have the same monitor. 1st monitor i've owned and thought to myself 'yeah don't really need anything bigger'

did a quick check on my 305T+ after reading your thread, did notice a faint 'buzz' at the back (just above the VESA mounting plate - it's attached to a monitor arm). thinking back i have noticed this noise before but only when the PC is off or asleep. even then i had to strain to hear it.

either your new PC equipment is incredibly quiet or the 'buzz' from your unit is louder than mine.

tho i should note when my PC is on (no music or videos playing in the background on desktop), the only thing i hear is my case. my case is open at the moment and currently has 8 120mm fans spinning (all throttled down) and sit on top of a 2 drawer filing cabinet adjacent to my desk.
when i start a game, the GPU fan drowns out the rest of the case.

if you're brave, crack the back off your 305T+ and maybe hot-glue the noise offender tho i'd wait to see if any other [H]'ers chime in before trying that.
 
just on a side note, what brightness level have you set for your 305T+.
i've always had mine set to the very lowest level, anything higher just makes my eyeballs bleed.
 
Yeah, this setup is absolutely silent. PSU fan stays off unless I'm drawing >300w, and the only fan is a PWM-controlled 140mm Xigmatek with a full-speed (1200rpm) rating of <18dbA (running at about 800rpm right now, so essentially silent unless I try to get my earlobes chopped off :p).

I've got it on the lowest level of brightness. Wish it could go lower. I actually feel heat on my face (may be psychosomatic) at 2' when I turn it all the way up.
 
Yeah, this setup is absolutely silent. PSU fan stays off unless I'm drawing >300w, and the only fan is a PWM-controlled 140mm Xigmatek with a full-speed (1200rpm) rating of <18dbA (running at about 800rpm right now, so essentially silent unless I try to get my earlobes chopped off :p).

I've got it on the lowest level of brightness. Wish it could go lower. I actually feel heat on my face (may be psychosomatic) at 2' when I turn it all the way up.

fair enough.
if you can pin-point the location of the hum/buzz with a stethoscope or a funnel attached to a length of hose then trawl the WWW for some pics of the 305T+ without the casing, then you could ID the component.
you're probably have to crack the puppy open to check it properly in the end. again wait to see if anyone jumps in.

did a quick look for a 'naked' 305T+, there is a fair bit of info out there on this monitor.
there was a link @ extremesystems
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?269335-My-Samsung-305T-is-dying...
may or may not be related but there was a link to the 305T+ service manual...
http://www.givemefile.net/smanuals/monitors/samsung/file/37241.html

other than your usual technical drawings/pinouts/parts list etc, has quite a few pics of the 305T+ internals.
downloaded my copy in case i need it in the future.
 
oh yeah, you're not imagining it, the sammy 305T+ dumps alot of heat.

since i got this monitor a few years ago, i've unconsciously gravitated towards websites with dark or black back-grounds (probably explains why i spend so much time here on [H]) b/c anything with large sections of 'white' (including win explorer windows) just hurts my eyes even on lowest setting.

the upside, the screen doubles as a good hand warmer in the colder months...
 
LOL. Have the same monitor. No buzzing, but I'm on my second one. The first start a very faint flickering, and after about 3 months, it completely crapped out. I was out of warranty. They shipped me back a replacement for free. Well, a year or so later, I think I might sorta be seeing the same thing happening. I've got clean power going into the thing too. I hope it's not what I'm thinking it is.
Don't want to replace this thing - I love it!
 
Back
Top