monitor as a dock?

rudy

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Apr 4, 2004
Messages
8,703
I know alot of monitors come with USB ports, but typically you need to connect to your device with a USB cable. I might be willing to do that. I am just trying to think of how I might make docking my laptop more convienient.

Do any monitors pass ethernet to a laptop over DP or HDMI? What about USB?

What I need to do is set my laptop down and plug in as few things as I can, currently I have to lock it, power, ethernet, display and USB.
 
I'm only aware of the apple thunderbolt display passing everything but power through the TB connector and thus working as a dock, but that's thunderbolt and not dp/hdmi. Since you didn't mentioned specifically windows but do mention dp/hdmi, I'm assuming you are referring to a windows laptop. There are numerous usb docking stations out there that you could use but they are generally poor quality and not something a poster here would want. Either way, nothing is going to pass power so best case scenario, you are only trying to eliminate two of the five connections...
 
Ya thats not the kind of setup that woudl work for me my laptop actually spaces out the ports along the entire side. Anyhow at least I know I dont have many options so I wont try.
 
Is there a reason you aren't just looking at a regular laptop dock? Depending on your specific laptop model, there may be one form the manufacturer.

Otherwise, there are some third party options that may work.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=857406&Q=&is=REG&A=details

http://www.provantage.com/lenovo-0a33970~7LEN92YY.htm

http://www.macmall.com/p/-Docking-Stations/product~DPNo~9232850~pdp.hgdcbhb

There are obviously some problems with using USB to transmit video and data -- even USB 3 has bandwidth limitations.
 
Back
Top