• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Modest 4.0 Ghz overclock

Zontar

n00b
Joined
Dec 30, 2010
Messages
27
I don't exactly have the best cooling, so I've decided to just push the i7-2600k up to 4Ghz fulltime. I have a P8P67 Pro, and have absoleutely NO idea which settings to change to accomplish this. What voltages do I change or whatever to get 4Ghz? Are there tables or forumulas or somthing for this kind of thing?
 
Also, what would be an acceptable load temp? Right now, I've hit as high as 62c un-overclocked.
 
If you have a 2600k and only want to run it at 4GHz, all you need to do is change the multiplier in the BIOS to 40. Everything else can be left on AUTO and the stock cooler will do fine. These chips will run 4GHz effortlessly. You're leaving a lot of room there - you can do 4.5GHz with average cooling too so I'd suggest at least that. 4GHz isn't asking for much.
 
Also, what would be an acceptable load temp? Right now, I've hit as high as 62c un-overclocked.

Just like i7 keep the temps under 85C. Although again the official maximum around 100C before it starts to throttle.
 
Is 62c too high for this chip and cooler at stock speeds though? 62c is more a peak; Prime95's torture test gets it hovering between 58 and 60c most of the time. But it still seems a tad too hot. Using Cooler Master N520.
 
No. But getting a new (better) cooler would be better - it would give you more headroom for overclocking and make t last longer.
 
In my opinion 62C is cold for an Intel processor at full load of all cores and overclocking.
 
If you have a 2600k and only want to run it at 4GHz, all you need to do is change the multiplier in the BIOS to 40. Everything else can be left on AUTO and the stock cooler will do fine. These chips will run 4GHz effortlessly. You're leaving a lot of room there - you can do 4.5GHz with average cooling too so I'd suggest at least that. 4GHz isn't asking for much.

I cannot locate a single "multiplier" setting in the BIOS. Is this a combination of values or something? Is there a guide which shows me how to overclock with this board?
 
Back
Top