Modding a koolance exos to be more efficient

Right now im using a koolance exos, but i want to upgrade to either a better setup overall, or mod the exos. I want to use 1/2 in. ID tubing, and have better flow rates (yeah, i know, ill need another pump, im looking at an eheim 1250). I wouldnt call myself a w/c noob, as ive done lots of reading, but i havent built my own homemade system yet (i dont consider an exos a homemade system, just an easy kit).

The thing is, i dont want to spend over $100, if at all possible. I might consider selling the exos and using that money to buy all new equipment, but i am unsure as to how much money i could get for it, the older model gold CPU block, and an older model gold chipset/gpu block.

If i do make a my own setup, is there a way to have a separate system monitor temperature, and shut down everything if the temps get too high? This is the main reason why i want to keep the exos. I know this can be done in software, but if windows freezes, the system is doomed.

Thanks for any input.

i was thinking about adding a second radiator inside the exos box. i posted a question about it but nobody replied.

but as for modding the whole exos unit for 1/2 tubing and more powerfull pumps, youd need to replace just about everything in the box except the fans and maybe the powersupply. i guess if you really like the exos case THAT MUCH itd be worth it.

you need a new radiator, one that would fit where the stock koolance one went. a low profile water pump unless you wanted to keep the pump in the pc and have the exos enclosure just for the res and radiator which would probobly be the best thing to do. you need to drill the too holes in the back bigger for 1/2 tubes. not sure what youd have to do whith the electricals in the exos, i know that if the pumps fail the the koolance will throw an error and since your not going to use the stock pumps anymore youd have to figure out how to prevent that from happeneing. but at the very least you could just disable the front display and use the power supply portion to power the fans to cool the radiator.

both of your sigs are over 10 lines, might want to change that ;)

as for the modding, at that point why even bother with koolance? you want to DIY, go for it. The only thing I can see worth keeping is the case, by all means go and do that.

as for temps, it will automatically shut down if something bad happens.

kronchev said:
both of your sigs are over 10 lines, might want to change that ;)

done...

kronchev said:
as for the modding, at that point why even bother with koolance? you want to DIY, go for it. The only thing I can see worth keeping is the case, by all means go and do that.

yea, i think you should just do a diy system now. you have the experience and confidence with watercooling that the koolance kit gave you so step it up a notch and go diy. i know thats that ill be doing when i build a new system.

acascianelli said:
i was thinking about adding a second radiator inside the exos box. i posted a question about it but nobody replied.
I replied! :( Did you ever measure those temperatures?

Anyway, the best thing to do with an Exos is salvage the case/electronics and sell the guts of it on ebay. It won't be difficult to get better performance.

HeThatKnows said:

Anyway, the best thing to do with an Exos is salvage the case/electronics and sell the guts of it on ebay. It won't be difficult to get better performance.

sorry dude, thx for replying. i never did measure the temps, theres really no way i can measure them. it cant be much, under full load you can barely feel a difference by touching the hoses.

Hose are pretty good insulation. Touching bare metal at the rad inlet would be a better indication.

Ever seen those indoor/outdoor thermometers that have the outdoor probe at the end of a long wire? I keep the probe in my reservoir. When temperatures rise, it's time to vacuum the cat hair out of the rad. :)

If you want cold temps, you could put the Exos inside a small refriegerator. :D

I'm still looking for that fridge. :p

HeThatKnows said:

So do you think id get more money selling the individual components or the system as a whole?

A seach for sold items on e-bay should tell you what it's worth. Honestly, I don't know. But, I suck at making cases (D in metal shop :rolleyes: ), so I personally would keep the case. :)

youd probobly get over 120$ if you sold your whole koolance system. which would buy most if not all of the parts youd need for a diy system.

Ok, im thinking of ditching the exos completely if i can sell it, and just make a DIY system. There are, however, some characteristics i want the DIY system to have:

The waterblock must work on a Socket A and a Socket 939 (it would also be REALLY nice if it worked on a 754 and some Intel sockets). Reason for this is, im running a 2500+ Barton now, but i will be upgrading to an A64 within a year. I was looking at the danger den TDX but it looks like you need a different block for almost every socket. Same thing with the RBX. Any other suggestions or corrections here?

The Video Card block must work on a geforce 4 4600, and both a 9800 and x800. Compability with a Geforce 6 would be very nice. I'm not too familiar with the newer high performing yet affordable GPU blocks.

The tubing must be 1/2 inch ID or better (im hearing that 5/8 is beginning to be used, although its difficult to plumb). I'll probably just use regular plastic tubing or whatever, unless i find out that there are huge benefits in using tygon.

I hear that eheim pumps are good, but which model should i get? I know that there is a balance between flow rate and resistance, so your modules have enough time to cool, but im not to entirely sure what the balance should be. I'd like it to be reasonably quiet, and not cause distubances.

I know very little about what brand/model of a radiator/heatercore to use. What is the difference between a radiator and a heatercore anyway? Correct me if i'm wrong, but arent they just different names for the same thing? I'll probably use it in conjunction with a 120 mm fan.

And now, the case. First of all, I am using a mid-tower with ATX form factor. I really dont wanna go out and buy a new case unless absolutely necessary. I know that my case isn't the best, but i think its aethetically pleasing, and i just dont want to go out and buy another case. This isnt the case i have, but it is very close internally:
http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage...18-08.jpg/11-156-118-09.jpg/11-156-118-03.jpg
I am using two of the bays for optical drives, one of the floppy bays, and two bays for HDs. I am also using 3 of the PCI slots, but i can take out up to 2 if necessary.

The important thing is, I think i can manage to fit everything inside, even though it may be a tight fit.

Thanks a ton for any help and/or suggestions.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think a radiator is designed to cool liquid whereas a heatercore is designed to heat air. In terms of performance I have heard so many conflicting opinions that I couldn't possibly pass judgement. Heatercores are most easily/cheaply available from car breakers (part of the air heating system for the cab).

Also, I'm currently trying to design my own external WC system. The electronics are not a problem but fitting in a dual 120mm rad is proving to be difficult. My designs are all a bit too deep and the dual 120mm is not something I really want to compromise upon. I'm looking for rads that are as close to 240mm as possible, while still being good flow and performance. Any suggestions?

RebornPhoenix said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think a radiator is designed to cool liquid whereas a heatercore is designed to heat air. In terms of performance I have heard so many conflicting opinions that I couldn't possibly pass judgement. Heatercores are most easily/cheaply available from car breakers (part of the air heating system for the cab).

Yes, but they're really doing the same thing- transferring heat from the liquid to the air.

RebornPhoenix said:
Also, I'm currently trying to design my own external WC system. The electronics are not a problem but fitting in a dual 120mm rad is proving to be difficult. My designs are all a bit too deep and the dual 120mm is not something I really want to compromise upon. I'm looking for rads that are as close to 240mm as possible, while still being good flow and performance. Any suggestions?

What radiator are you looking into getting? How much of a performance boost do you get from a dual rad/heatercore? Wouldnt this drastically reduce flow rates?

DarkenReaper57 said:
What radiator are you looking into getting? How much of a performance boost do you get from a dual rad/heatercore? Wouldnt this drastically reduce flow rates?

a lot, it doesnt reduce flow rates at all

Back