Migrating from ARCserve to Windows 2k native backup

category_five

Limp Gawd
I'm posting this on [H]ardOCP because I found almost nothing about it through Google. The one listing I did find on it was a "register to see this solution" forum. Scum sucking email harvesting spammers. Of course I didn't register. Anyways, hopefully Google will index this.

Problem: Migrating from ARCserve backup to Windows 2000 Native Backup

errors:
The resource required for this operation does not exist.

(Technet has nothing linking this error message to this problem)

If you go to the computer managment console and look at the system error log you will see this:

Library library name failed to write a Free media label on media XXXXXXXX because RSM found a different piece of media in the library than was selected for the move to Free pool operation.

The problem is caused by the tendrils ARCserve leaves behind in the registry. You need to edit the registry with the fix listed here. The fix is for Windows 2003 Server, but it worked on Windows 2000 Server just fine for me. The only difference was the registry key was:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\NTMS\OMID\Tape\CA
instead of:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\NTMS\OMID\Tape\ARC

Also, you need to manually disable all ARCserve jobs prior to doing this, assuming of course that you didn't remove ARCserve altogether.

I was able to manually run a backup after following this solution. However, a later unrelated reboot and ARCserve was back up and running, taking over all resources again. A quick disable of all jobs, this time without a registry edit and Windows Native was working again.

I hope this helps someone.

Back