Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (Retail Full Version)?

Does this exist, or only OEM versions?

If a retail full version does exist, where can I find it and how much?

djnes said:
I believe it's only available in the OEM flavor.

Ding Ding Ding... we have a winner here...

yup only available as oem.. basically MS wants system builders to integrate it and get it running.. they dont think the average joe can do it,, mainly its because of lack of drivers and such

Well screw that then...I will just wait for Vista. I hope the Ultimate Edition has both x32 & x64 support or maybe just force everyone to switch to x64.

Because the way we use OSes around here, I strongly recommend buying full versions. Because x64 isn't available in a full version I don't recommend anyone purchase it.

Honestly I'd run the eval copy until Vista comes out if you want a 64 bit OS.

Phoenix86 said:
Because the way we use OSes around here, I strongly recommend buying full versions. Because x64 isn't available in a full version I don't recommend anyone purchase it.

Honestly I'd run the eval copy until Vista comes out if you want a 64 bit OS.
I thought the VLK version was full. I haven't installed it yet, as I don't have any compatible hardware.

mike_j_johnson said:
Well screw that then...I will just wait for Vista. I hope the Ultimate Edition has both x32 & x64 support or maybe just force everyone to switch to x64.

The last I saw is that it will come out in both x86 and x64 flavors. So there will only be 14 different versions of Vista.
And some were worried it would be a pain in the ass picking versions...pfft.

djnes said:
I thought the VLK version was full. I haven't installed it yet, as I don't have any compatible hardware.
Well the rules of VLK mean you don't have the limits of OEM, so that wouldn't matter. I just don't see many people going to VLK just for a full version of x64. Though that would be an option I guess.

S1nF1xx said:
The last I saw is that it will come out in both x86 and x64 flavors. So there will only be 14 different versions of Vista.
And some were worried it would be a pain in the ass picking versions...pfft.
I had counted over 100 different boxed versions when you factor in licensing types. ;)

Phoenix86 said:
The OEM version is a "full version" and only version. :p

x64 doesn't support upgrade installations from 32-bit versions, and there is no previous x86 64-bit version, so it doesn't have upgrade requirements.

Unless you meant the direct MS support in full retail packages by the "Because the way we use OSes around here" statement, because MS doesn't offer direct phone support for x64. In that case you'd be out of luck (or the same if you usually pay for post installation support to MS). Of course there is other free official and unofficial support for x64. http://support.microsoft.com/windowsxpprox64

pxc said:
The OEM version is a "full version" and only version. :p

x64 doesn't support upgrade installations from 32-bit versions, and there is no previous x86 64-bit version, so it doesn't have upgrade requirements.

Unless you meant the direct MS support in full retail packages by the "Because the way we use OSes around here" statement, because MS doesn't offer direct phone support for x64. In that case you'd be out of luck (or the same if you usually pay for post installation support to MS). Of course there is other free official and unofficial support for x64. http://support.microsoft.com/windowsxpprox64
I'm talking about the OEM limits being tied to the mobo you install it on. The way we use computers around here we simply don't keep a mobo that long, and certianly aren't buying a new OS with every mobo.

Back