Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal Tool (KB890830)

Grimmda

2[H]4U
I did a search on the forum for this but couldn't find it... enjoy (maybe haha)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...e0-e72d-4f54-9ab3-75b8eb148356&DisplayLang=en

Overview
This tool will help to remove specific, prevalent malicious software from infected systems. Because computers can appear to function normally when infected, Microsoft advises you to run this tool even if your computer seems to be fine. In addition to using this tool, you should use an up-to-date antivirus product to help protect your computer from other malicious software. For more information, see Protect Your PC. A new version of this tool is released on the second Tuesday of every month...

I brought it down from Windows Update today on 3 machines, and I can't seem to find it now. It's not installed like an application apparently.

Nope it is one of those that is downloaded and run in the background. I downloaded it and executed it on my system and it took about 5 seconds to run.

Does that mean it will uninstall windows and install linux on your machine :p hehe

does this load with windows? does anyone know the name of the process? been looking for some info but theres not much about at the moment

KevinO said:
Nope it is one of those that is downloaded and run in the background. I downloaded it and executed it on my system and it took about 5 seconds to run.
How'd you manually execute it? Because like others mentioned I don't see an icon or anything.

I just redownloaded the package and ran it from there, when I initially downloaded it from WU, nothing happened. It only scanned about ten or so trojan/virus......

MajorDomo said:
I just redownloaded the package and ran it from there, when I initially downloaded it from WU, nothing happened. It only scanned about ten or so trojan/virus......

I did the same, and captured the file finally. Mrt.exe.

It doesn't look for much at the moment:
Malicious software family Tool version Severity rating*
Win32/Berbew January 2005 Moderate
Win32/Doomjuice January 2005 Moderate
Win32/Gaobot January 2005 Moderate
Win32/MSBlast January 2005 Critical
Win32/Mydoom January 2005 Moderate
Win32/Nachi January 2005 Critical
Win32/Sasser January 2005 Critical
Win32/Zindos January 2005 Moderate

Yeah, I'm tired of hearing people call it a spyware removal tool. All it does is remove about 9 different viruses. I'll stick to my SAV9. :)

Grimmda said:
It doesn't look for much at the moment:
Malicious software family Tool version Severity rating*
Win32/Berbew January 2005 Moderate
Win32/Doomjuice January 2005 Moderate
Win32/Gaobot January 2005 Moderate
Win32/MSBlast January 2005 Critical
Win32/Mydoom January 2005 Moderate
Win32/Nachi January 2005 Critical
Win32/Sasser January 2005 Critical
Win32/Zindos January 2005 Moderate
If it's looking for virii, how does this mesh with the new virus scanner they are about to release, or is this it?

Phoenix86 said:
If it's looking for virii, how does this mesh with the new virus scanner they are about to release, or is this it?

If I may borrow a phrase from our esteemed president *cough, cough*

It's a pre-emptive strike against virii.

Back