Microsoft Open License Program

d4nnn

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi everyone,

I had a question regarding Microsoft Open Licensing. As far as I can tell, I purchased an open license @ CDW and have setup the VL account @ Microsoft. I have purchased for Office 2010 & Officemac 2011.

I believe that for Office 2010, they provide 1 key to use 25 times - Does this mean 25 different computers?

Also does officemac have an unlimited amount of installs? I either skimmed over it somewhere or was unable to get a clear answer and would like any clarification if possible.

Thanks!

Even though it's a volume license, I believe you still need to pay for the appropriate number of uses up front.
So if you just purchased the minimum of 5, that's only 5 uses. Basically just like a retail license in that sense, afaik, just at a discount.

Open License is a good choice if you are a corporate, academic, charitable, or government organization that wants to pay as you go. You must have a minimum initial purchase of five software licenses for an Open License agreement, but you can acquire additional licensed products through Open License in any quantity at any time during the two-year agreement term.

http://www.microsoft.com/Licensing/licensing-options/open-license.aspx#tab=1

We have an Open Business agreement through CDW for MS licenses.

We just pay for the # of licenses we need and use the same key for all installs, because it doesn't really matter. As long as you audit and your counts match what you've paid for you're good. I usually check our stuff about once a month to make sure we're in compliance.

This shit adds up fast. lol
thing.png

What others have said. You buy your CALs and make sure that's all you use. While pricing "adds up fast" don't even think of just buying a retail copy and using that in a business. What you pay for the CALs is nothing compared to what you'll be paying if you break a Microsoft licensing agreement.

Agreed with j-sta that if you just purchased the minimum of 5, that's only 5 uses. Basically just like a retail license in that sense, just at a discount.

Hi everyone,

I had a question regarding Microsoft Open Licensing. As far as I can tell, I purchased an open license @ CDW and have setup the VL account @ Microsoft. I have purchased for Office 2010 & Officemac 2011.

I believe that for Office 2010, they provide 1 key to use 25 times - Does this mean 25 different computers?

Also does officemac have an unlimited amount of installs? I either skimmed over it somewhere or was unable to get a clear answer and would like any clarification if possible.

Thanks!
25 is the MAK activations. Once the 25 activations are used up you must contact Microsoft to reset the count. This does not mean you have 25 licenses.

Are you doing this for a business or education (college/k12)?

ahhh that makes sense. Its for a business. I think because of purchasing volume and associating with a big company we were able to purchase just 2 open licenses.

Back