Microsoft More Helpful Than I Thought

zacdl

[H]ard|Gawd
For both search engines and those who may have similar problems, when I was running my Vista Home Premium Upgrade as a clean install, I kept on getting an Error 0x8007048F after the partitions screen, where you choose to install Vista at.

It got to around 3%, sometimes a little more, and it gave me this error. Microsoft had no documentation of this Error before, oddly. It said something to the extent of missing files, make sure they are availible and try the installation again. I called Microsoft, and they had me give them the error word by word, as this has never happened before.

Long story short- it was happening because my second hard drive was not plugged in and installed on it. It shouldn't matter- and even Microsoft wasn't sure why, but it may have had bad sectors on it (Although after the install it worked fine).

After installation, Microsoft actually issued me a full version product key to activate Vista with, so I wouldn't have to start the installation again within Vista (remember, this was an upgrade of Vista and not a full verion). They could've just left me with the Upgrade workaround (they frowned upon it actually), but they issued me a new key!

I've only had to call once or twice in the past with activation issues. Never had a problem and they were very friendly. Unlike Symantec who refused to activate my Systemworks Premium last year after I deleted it from my computer I sold and tried to install on my other computer. I bought Vista. I'll never buy another Symantec product...

For both search engines and those who may have similar problems, when I was running my Vista Home Premium Upgrade as a clean install, I kept on getting an Error 0x8007048F after the partitions screen, where you choose to install Vista at.

It got to around 3%, sometimes a little more, and it gave me this error. Microsoft had no documentation of this Error before, oddly. It said something to the extent of missing files, make sure they are availible and try the installation again. I called Microsoft, and they had me give them the error word by word, as this has never happened before.

Long story short- it was happening because my second hard drive was not plugged in and installed on it. It shouldn't matter- and even Microsoft wasn't sure why, but it may have had bad sectors on it (Although after the install it worked fine).

After installation, Microsoft actually issued me a full version product key to activate Vista with, so I wouldn't have to start the installation again within Vista (remember, this was an upgrade of Vista and not a full verion). They could've just left me with the Upgrade workaround (they frowned upon it actually), but they issued me a new key!
Sounds like you are one of the first to actually find out just what MS thinks of thier LOOPHOLE. CAn you elaborate a little more on how they FROWNED on the dual install?

I've only had to call once or twice in the past with activation issues. Never had a problem and they were very friendly. Unlike Symantec who refused to activate my Systemworks Premium last year after I deleted it from my computer I sold and tried to install on my other computer. I bought Vista. I'll never buy another Symantec product...
If you register your Nortons software right when you install it, Symantec will help you out no,problem. More and more software Cos are now keeping closer track, but they are also adding a few goodies with thier products, such as Symantecs 3 pc licenses, and frre/discount coupons for other products. MS recently offered a 50% discount on Windows 1, just because I used the beta. IOlo System Mechanic, bends over backwards, and even allows you to go back to previous versions of thier software.THe key to all of this is REGISTER that software or hardware. JUst use a junk E-mail address,such as hotmail or yahoo. That keeps your primary acount a little clearer of spam and ads.

Sounds like you are one of the first to actually find out just what MS thinks of thier LOOPHOLE. CAn you elaborate a little more on how they FROWNED on the dual install?

The utterance of an MS Activation Centre staff member is NOT an expression of MS policy, remember. I wouldn't be taking that claim with just the proverbial 'grain of salt'. I'd be taking it with a bloody great outcrop of the stuff!

The only real indication we've had of a formal 'policy' in relation to the 'loophole' is this report from vnunet, where neither the identity of the 'spokesperson' was provided nor his or her position of responsibility within Microsoft.

Not an activation issue at all. Like I said, I could have just re-ran the upgrade from within the "demo" Vista that was installed, as I do have the upgrade key. Microsoft gave me a completely legit FULL key to save me the hassle of running the install again.

The lady was like "Yea, that isn't really intended", with the tone of voice like "You shouldn't be doing that". But it is like she has to acknowledge the fact, but that she also knew it could be done. Right after saying it, she progressed along as normal, and just ignored it. As Catweazle suggested- it isn't exactly official policy. I think Microsoft frowns upon it, just by the way the lady sounded.

A comment on Symantec... I personally don't like Norton stuff. Hate it. Resource hog, impossible to uninstall. I remember reading a comment left one time, "Norton is like the guy on T2, it just reforms over time". I have always remembered that comment because it seems so true!

Actually, No. I found out a little while back. I won't go into the issue as to why I had to call them, suffice to say it has to do with installing on a RAID.

Anyway, I explained why I used the loophole -- for a good reason -- and they weren't to flexed about it. Hell, I even have ongoing communication with them about the above(non-disclosed) issue and they know I completely discarded my XP disk with my Vista upgrade. Of course, they don't want everyone just abusing this thing, but they know it's there and aren't going to stop ppl from using it.

You mean those BAD people in Redman actually helped you out! :eek:
WOW...wonders never cease, I thought all they wanted was your $$

You mean those BAD people in Redman actually helped you out! :eek:
WOW...wonders never cease, I thought all they wanted was your $$
Depends on who you talk to (I am reminded of a Linux guy on here). ;)

Back