microsoft killed netscape. R.I.P. netscape.

JVC

[H]ard|Gawd
i was watching this show today on 182 discovery channel. microsoft killed netscape with their powerful billions. i like netscape, sniff sniff so long and live long netscape.
now... will ie8 look like netscape?

AOL killed netscape IMO Microsoft did not help, but AOL is not in the best of shape right now.

Sorry, but it's old news and not a big loss to the browser market at this point.

AOL kills every thing it touches, Netscape, ICQ, Winamp/Nullsoft.
I'm surprised Time Warner lasted so long.

AOL kills every thing it touches, Netscape, ICQ, Winamp/Nullsoft.
I'm surprised Time Warner lasted so long.

+1 AOL kills EVERYTHING, including a ladies computer at work that I am having a terrible time trying to fix.

I think netscape killed netscape by not keeping with the times.

I remember when I first accessed the Web with Netscape Navigator (back in the days of Windows for Warehouses 3.11 with dialup). Good times :rollseyes:

BTW didn't Netscape Navigator (or part of it's source code) become Mozilla then Mozilla Firefox (then Netscape Navigator again)?

once IE4 was released Nutscrape was doomed. Spew all the anti-MS rhetoric you like, but it was AOL that mismanaged Nutscrape into the ground.

Netscape was great for a while. Netscape Navigator then Communicator. Then shit. AOL did kill it, but it wasn't too great for a while before that. Netscape was my favorite browser. Mosaic was great in it's day, too. That was my first WWW browser. Then Netscape, then IE, then Firefox, then Opera, now IE7/8 again.

AOL and Microsoft killed Netscape. With Microsoft bundling IE in Windows and AOL turning Netscape into a horribly mangled pile of steaming code with the introduction of Netscape 5.0, it was doomed during a critical point in time. But now with Firefox, who cares?

It was the browser in it's heyday though, I still have 1.0 and 2.0 on floppy from 1994/95 somewhere. I also remember back that long ago there was no real working ecommerce, Netscape Gold was a paid product, but if you hopped onto their FTP you could download it for "free" :D

Yes, and what about all those notepad.exe and ping.exe competitors..gone now, so sad.. yawn.

Netscape was alright then just turned into crap after it got good.

Netscape started heading down a dangerous road a long time ago when they came out with Communicator, imho. Navigator was beautiful, especially compared to IE/Mosaic. As far as bundling IE with Windows? Why shouldn't the company that wrote the OS get to bundle something with it? <sarcasm> Because the internet was so much better when you had to go buy a box off a shelf to use it? </sarcasm>

Consumers always had a choice, they just needed to download Netscape. Shame on Netscape for turning Navigator into a bloated whale (communicator) that took forever to download on dial-up (what most consumers had back then) and for not doing a better job at marketing themselves as a better browser.

AOL and Netscape killed Netscape. Microsoft had very little to do with it in the long run.

Agree, Netscape died about 10 years ago. Navigator was the last.

I remember when I first accessed the Web with Netscape Navigator (back in the days of Windows for Warehouses 3.11 with dialup). Good times :rollseyes:

BTW didn't Netscape Navigator (or part of it's source code) become Mozilla then Mozilla Firefox (then Netscape Navigator again)?

You mean Windows for Workgroup, didn't you?

AFAIK, Netscape's browser code was based on Gecko and Mozilla source code. Mozilla was open source, so anyone could use it and make their own browser. Firefox was one of them.

Edit: oh and Microsoft did not kill Netscape. AOL did. Even in Linux, Gnome Nautilus and KDE Konquerer made it so you didn't need Netscape anymore. Same with Apple and their Safari. Netscape wasn't keeping with the times and AOL didn't push them very hard.

AFAIK, Netscape's browser code was based on Gecko and Mozilla source code. Mozilla was open source, so anyone could use it and make their own browser.

If I recall correctly...the Gecko engine (early version was soooo buggy) came out with version 5 of Nutscrape. Prior to that..such as the last version I liked...4.72 or 4.76 or so...I don't believe Gecko was used yet.

Adding to this throwback of yesteryear.......just a few hours ago I sat down in front of a Windows 95b machine. :rolleyes:

At a small doctors office.

Old SMC 10 base ...HUB

What a mess..

Think I'll make my quote too high..don't want that office.

netscape sucked anyway
QFT

I wish people who complained about Netscape dying would have actually used that unstable heap of sewage. Constant crashes, slow, rendering problems on even Netscape optimized sites and data corruption. Boy, do I miss Netscape Navigator. :rolleyes:

Netscape was done when Mozilla/Firefox first came out as a separate browser into the mainstream.

Back