Long-time PC gamer, but I never got around to doing any kind of voice. Now that my fiancee and I do lots of Team Fortress 2 together, we need a good voice solution. She uses a headset/mic combo, which is simple enough. My setup is a little more complex, so I need some pointers.
Right now all my computer audio is piped via optical-out into a Harman Kardon AVR-254, which goes to two RF-82s and an RW12D. Because of this, I don't really want to use headphones or a headset. (Also, all headphones fatigue my ears, inside and out, after 30 minutes or so.) Finding a standalone mic is easy, of course. But I'm worried that the input will be overpowered by the ambient sound in the room, among other things.
So, what mics are best for this application? Will I have problems making optical output and mic input perform together, inside TF2? Are auxiliary audio-messaging apps out of the question, since TF2 seems to silence all other PC audio? I'd rather not put her through the messy learning process here if at all possible, hence the post. All pointers, thoughts, ideas, jabs, and poorly worded insults welcome.
Right now all my computer audio is piped via optical-out into a Harman Kardon AVR-254, which goes to two RF-82s and an RW12D. Because of this, I don't really want to use headphones or a headset. (Also, all headphones fatigue my ears, inside and out, after 30 minutes or so.) Finding a standalone mic is easy, of course. But I'm worried that the input will be overpowered by the ambient sound in the room, among other things.
So, what mics are best for this application? Will I have problems making optical output and mic input perform together, inside TF2? Are auxiliary audio-messaging apps out of the question, since TF2 seems to silence all other PC audio? I'd rather not put her through the messy learning process here if at all possible, hence the post. All pointers, thoughts, ideas, jabs, and poorly worded insults welcome.