merging ISP to get 2x speed?

Projkt4

Weaksauce
is it possible to get a second ISP (currently using road runner) such as ADSL and merge it with my network to create a faster connection? I am using clark connect to route my network.

not FASTER but you can get better throughput with two connections
IE
downloading massive huge file from computer A at 200Kb/s (maxed connection) you can then load balance over to the second connection and download another massive file at 200k/s

exactly! thats what i meant, ill improve my bandwidth, but not total speed. now how would i configure that.

You would need a Dual WAN Port router capable of load balancing, other than that I'm not sure. I've been looking into doing the same as DSL just became available in my area.

-Matt :cool:

Originally posted by draconius
not FASTER but you can get better throughput with two connections
IE
downloading massive huge file from computer A at 200Kb/s (maxed connection) you can then load balance over to the second connection and download another massive file at 200k/s

or another way would be to use like getright that makes multiple connections for one file, thus u could use both lines to grab one file.

Originally posted by Projkt4
exactly! thats what i meant, ill improve my bandwidth, but not total speed. now how would i configure that.

easy to do if you have some *bsd/linux know how. especially the whole setup of ipfw/ipf/ipchains/pf/whateverfirewallyouchoose to do load balancing:p

Originally posted by Veeb0rg
or another way would be to use like getright that makes multiple connections for one file, thus u could use both lines to grab one file.

no, get right uses only one connection, im looking for a solution that will use both cable and adsl.

im using a clark connect router, a *nix system, how wouldi goabout settingupthat second wan line?

I also posted about this awhile ago. Dummynet for FreeBSD was recommended to me. I still haven't figured it out completely yet. I know some IPFW script stuff, but not enough to allow me to set it up. I'm still looking for a easier method. There are devices out there to do it, but are hella expensive. The cheapest way isn't always the easiest way :(

-Robert

Back